axblader

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I would like to know if you need Windows XP SP2 to run a dual-core proccessor. I read somewhere that it requires it but I am not sure, because I currently have a SP1, and I am hoping that will work.

Also, I recently read on this site that you will need to download a BIOs update for the A8N-SLI Premium to support dual-core proccessors. If so, I want to know where you can download the updated BIO and how to upload it with a system that doesnt have a working proccessor because the BIO does not support it.

Thx =)

mizlplix

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I am running an ASUS A8N SLI Premium MoBo and an Opteron 170. I am using BIOS 1009 and it works well. check which bios u have, it may work already.

I loaded XP PRO, then updated to SP2, so it worked with SP1 also. MPX

calaverasgrande

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I would like to know if you need Windows XP SP2 to run a dual-core proccessor. I read somewhere that it requires it but I am not sure, because I currently have a SP1, and I am hoping that will work.

Also, I recently read on this site that you will need to download a BIOs update for the A8N-SLI Premium to support dual-core proccessors. If so, I want to know where you can download the updated BIO and how to upload it with a system that doesnt have a working proccessor because the BIO does not support it.
Thx =)

regarding dual core support by the OS, you just need to load the multiprocessor HAL vs the uniprocessor HAL. There is a really cute way to do this which involves going into hardware profiles and deleting and re-installing something, but I cant remember what. Do a search on mult proc HAL.
You should be able to get the bios which updates your motherboard and the list of supported cores at the ASUS website.