Momental

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Why will my machine not post after installing an AMD Athlon X2 4400 CPU when it runs just fine with a single core Athlon 3800 CPU?

Solution
I'm not an electronics expert, but I'm a computer tech and I can tell you bent pins are a very big deal, especially on a CPU. They probably caused some sort of short, but, again, I'm not electronics-speak savy enough to explain it.

The parts are very sensitive to static and any physical problems, like bent pins. Hell, I've seen so many monitor cables ruined due to one bent pin that was carefully put back in place...and those are less sensitive than CPUs.

That all said, I'd say go back to the seller, since the pins might have been messed up when he shipped it to you. Try and get your money back. That way, you can get another CPU elsewhere and get your upgrade. :)

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Did you check to see if mobo supports the CPU you upgraded to?
Do you check to see if an updated BIOS was required?
Are you sure you installed the HSF securely and connected it properly?
Was the CPU the only change you made?

Momental

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Agreed. I apologize for the rather anemic and uninformative question. Anywho, here goes:

Current Specs:

ASUS A8N-E nForce4, Phoenix BIOS 1013
Athlon 64 3800+ Venice
4GB G.Skill RAM
XFX 7800GT 256Mb
250Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA
FSP AX500 450W (500W max) power supply
NEC DVD/RW ND-3520AW
Hyundai L90D+ 19" LCD
Windows XP Pro, SP3
CoolerMaster Praetorian ATX case
Zalman CNPS 7700 CPU cooler (the giant copper heatsink fan combo)

I took off my "old" CPU (the 3800 from above), and while cleaning off the top of the "new" (used Athlon X2 4400+), I may have inadvertantly bent 6 or 7 pins. Now, I meticulously bent them back into place using a flathead screwdriver. I pretended like I was defusing a bomb. All of the pins were like rows of corn: straight up and down, etc. The CPU dropped into place with no effort. I applied some thermal grease, put the HSF back on, plugged in the CPU fan, plugged everything back in, hit the 'power' button and only the power supply, case fans and CPU fan came on. The screen was as black as night. :(

I shut everything down, unplugged everything, carefully removed the Zalman HSF and CPU. I cleaned the CPU and HSF off and this time applied a dab of Arctic Silver. Again, plugged everything back in and powered up. Nothing, same as before. Only the fans and PSU came on. Oy. "Gonna be one of those days, I guess. What if I put the old 3800 CPU back in? What the hell have I got to lose?" Did that and was at the Windows desktop within 90 seconds.

Suggestions, simples ones please, are welcome. This is the first time that I've ever even attempted doing this, so please bare that in mind.

Thanks!! :)

jtsanda

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
Looks like you need to update your bios. Go to the ASUS website, and download the v.1008 bios or later. After that, flash your bios using one of ASUS' bios flashing programs. Hope this helps. :)

jtsanda

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
Oh sorry, just realized you had the 1013 bios. Don't know what to say. Bad CPU maybe? Have you been able to try it in another motherboard to see if it works in that one?

Momental

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010

Unfortunately, I can't really vouch for the reputation of the seller other than what shows up on eBay. I've contacted them and they've told me to reset the CMOS (take out the battery, hold down the power button, bla bla bla). Really? I find it hard to believe that's the solution here.

I've requested a refund through PayPal, but the seller has contested my request and it's now up to PayPal to determine who gets what, including the shaft.

Of course, I'd like to eliminate all other possibilities. True. I could shut everything down for a fourth time, uninstall my perfectly-fine 3800+, pop out the CMOS battery for an hour or so and put the 4400+ back. The risk I'm running here is that with all this "in-out-on-off" stuff, I could damage something that already works!!

Momental

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010

I was as careful as I could be, bending the pins notwithstanding. I kept touching my fingertip to an adjacent aluminum CoolerMaster tower (unplugged) every time I was just about to touch something in the rig to eliminate the possibility of static.

Werxen, you bring up a valid point regarding electronics and eBay. Where do I go besides the Newegg's, TigerDirect's, etc. for quality, cheap parts? Newegg doesn't even sell a dual core CPU that's socket 939-compatible anymore and anything I found on Amazon seemed outrageously priced, so I was kinda limited on my choices. eBay was my only avenue and I thought there wouldn't be any harm in buying a piece of electronics which, unlike a BBQ grill, was never subject to the weather, physical harm by a round of hide 'n seek by a throng of 7-year-olds and had probably only been touched by human hands two or three times. But, what do I know?

branflakes71

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The fact that the pins got bent is your problem. Almost always destroys the CPU. You need to replace the CPU. If you don't know who bent the pins, perhaps contact that seller for a defective product.

Are you near any computer shops? Like Fry's? Fry's has decent enough pricing.

Momental

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010

If the pins have been bent, not broken, and have been put back upright, what's the big deal? I'm missing something. And honestly, I don't know if the pins were already bent or if I bent them. All that I know is the moment before I put the CPU into the socket, I looked it over and noticed them.

branflakes71

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not an electronics expert, but I'm a computer tech and I can tell you bent pins are a very big deal, especially on a CPU. They probably caused some sort of short, but, again, I'm not electronics-speak savy enough to explain it.

The parts are very sensitive to static and any physical problems, like bent pins. Hell, I've seen so many monitor cables ruined due to one bent pin that was carefully put back in place...and those are less sensitive than CPUs.

That all said, I'd say go back to the seller, since the pins might have been messed up when he shipped it to you. Try and get your money back. That way, you can get another CPU elsewhere and get your upgrade. :)

Solution

Momental

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010

I hear ya. I'm just not sure if I'm the one who bent them or if they were already bent. It was moment of "Whoa. Did I do that?? Let's think for a sec. Did I give this thing a good visual once-over when I took it out of the bubble wrap?? Crap. I don't remember. All I know is, the pins are bent, so it must've been me." Also, In my correspondence with the seller in addition to my claim with PayPal, I never mentioned anything about pins. It'd be kinda suspect if I came in and said, "Oh! And another thing! a half dozen pins were bent! Yeah! That's the ticket!" See? It's a little late in the game for that, but I appreciate the suggestion.