Dual CPU Query

gis_mapper

Distinguished
May 20, 2005
My current system is a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz processor with 2Gb RAM.

Today I was doing some intensive raster graphical processing and wanted to use another program, but had to wait 2 or 3 minutes for that application to start!

I've been following the developments of, and release of dual core processors. It occurred to me that maybe now I should upgrade the motherboard and processor to possibly a dual core model (maybe even with hyperthreading?). But I was wondering, will the processor (and BIOS, I assume) automatically recognise when a second application starts and assign resources accordingly? Or do you need third party (I would assume Windows drivers) to enable this processing? I have been reading about the problems of Windows 64 bit applications (and the lack of software for these platforms), and basically wonder if this applies to running a dual core processor. Do you have any insight?

Also, which one (AMD or Intel, in this enviroment) the better one to go with? Most magazines say AMD, but I've also heard that Windows (or other programs) "slow down applications" on AMD processors.

I don't recall this, but assume that dual cores (specifically Intel?) can run either 32 or 64 bit Windows? When I do upgrade, I'll also want a CPU/motherboard combination that will also be able to migrate to Windows Vista.

Thanks in advance for any comment or thoughts.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
AMD is the way to go, slows down apps? sounds like intel P-Ds to me, they will make windows think that encoding is always highest in priorites in windows, so windows will give the encoding program more cpu power and that means if you got more than two intensive programs running intel will try to do the encoding fastest, as most ppl think that intel is better in encoding than amd. This trick or bug or w/e is how they kept that title (however, when tested with the piroties set straight :p AMD does better at encoding as well). AMD X2s is the way to go man (not to mention somewhat quieter)

AMD A64 3200+Venice @2.65GHZ
DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D
OCZ 2x512mb EL Gold VX PC3200 ram 2-2-2-8
evga eGeforce 6800GT 256mb GDDR3 ram
Enermax 485W PSU
Bios 6/23
Windows XP SP2<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheHolyLancer on 10/02/05 12:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
where to start..

First, instead of buying a new computer, Id try using taskmanager and recude the thread priority of the app that is eating up all your cpu resources. Good chance that will make you happy already, and it costs you nothing.

Next, there is no relation between 64 bit cpus (or vista) and dual core cpus, other than that all dual core cpu's are also 64 bit capable (but then almost all desktop chips are nowadays). Anything you buy today will run vista.

Generally speaking, AMD offers the best solution now, for both single core and dual core desktop parts. performance characteristics of specific apps can make a difference, but if you are unsure, AMD is by far the safer bet.

About the "slowing down".. I assume that refers to cool and quiet, which will indeed slow down the cpu when you are not using it a lot. Its a power and noise saving feature, not an issue.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

liquidpaper007

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
they will make windows think that encoding is always highest in priorites in windows, so windows will give the encoding program more cpu p...
the pentium d's dont make windows think encoding is the highest priority.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") bunny pwns j00

endyen

Splendid
Today I was doing some intensive raster graphical processing and wanted to use another program, but had to wait 2 or 3 minutes for that application to start!
Is this always the case? Remember, dual core is not twice as fast as a single core, at the same speed. You are also paying a premium for that second core, instead of just getting a faster chip. As a result, you may end up taking more time to finish most projects.
The normal situation is, while the computer is tied up doing intensive progs, we do other things (like have a life, or do laundry). Now, we have dual core. It takes longer to do the primary task, than a cheaper faster single core chip, but we have two cores. We decide to do some downloading, serf, read email (with all those annoying popups) which also take up mobo resources. Our new chip is slowed because, it doesn't have the as much access to ram. So now, it takes twice as long to get that task done, and we no longer have a life, or clean laundry.