Dual CRT Support

G

WANTED!

A) 1 Video card that supports dual CRT display. I have seen ATI advertising a VE, Matrox G550? Anything out there by nvdia at a decent price. Gaming is not the issue here. This machine will be used for audio engineering/mastering.

Athlon XP 1900+
ASUS A7V333 SocketA Raid
1 Gig 2700 DDR (still shopping on this, will post in memory)
2 Maxtor 80GB ATA 133
1 Antec Performance Plus 1080B SOHO File Server w/430 PS

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
i think you could get any card with dual display and then get an adapter for the DVI plug on the video card. As to what card to get, i can't help you there.

"If you wear a turtleneck and a backpack, it's like a weak midget is on your back strangling you"

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
ATI Radeon 7000 (VE +64MB) has the best dual monitor support. This is on par with a GeForce 2 MX for perfomance - great for 3 years ago, but lacking for today's high powered 3D apps (i.e. games, CAD, etc.) If gaming or CAD, etc. are not an issue, this would be perfect for your needs (audio mastering).

Another option if 3D performance is more of an issue is to get a high performance AGP video card (GF4, Radeon 8500, etc.) and a nice PCI video adapter for a second monitor. This will provide most of the same features as the dual-monitor single-card solution under Win98 or XP.

If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn't have thought so much.

G

now there is an interesting thought. I was unaware you could get an adaptor for that purpose. It would be nice to have a high end card with the option to go dual when I need it.

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
Win98SE added support for up to 8 monitors on one system. Windows XP has this same capability.

If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn't have thought so much.

G

I definatly do not want any PCI cards in this system
The south bridge is going to be used for Firewire/ USB 2.0 Devices only. ( I think this is what controls them?) It looks like I will be going with an Radeon or GeForce card. Although it is true I don't need gaming power...the other guy in this business does Video 'stuff' on a Dual Mac and I want to be sure I can display his video 'stuff' sharply if needed. Most of the production on my machine at this point will be audio overdubbing mixing with a video window to view the animations and such. Is this a 3d problem or is the 3d side of a card only used for Vectoring as apposed to bitmapping? Am I talking out of my *$% here. :p

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
Radeon 8500 is far sharper than GF4 for color and picture - but is not quite as fast.

G

Looks like I'm going to go with the Radeon 8500 64 or 128, Thanks all for the input.

NurseMSIC

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Personal experience --> I use a Geforce 2 MX 400 with Twin View and Video In Video out (the last part isnt necessary for twin view, but i just have it...).
I use 2 CRT monitors for video editing, which both work great, although i do wish i could set the resolution on them seperately, as they are not the same brand of monitor (thats my own stupid fault).
I also then have the option of outputting directly to TV.
I like my graphics card! (even though being a year old it is horribly outdated now)

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18108" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=18108</A>