Dual display: 2 monitors connected to a single GPU vs 1 monitor to GPU and 1 to onboard

syabilng

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
I have two different monitors currently connected to Leadtek GTX670 and onboard HDMI each. Motherboard is Asrock Z77 Extreme. I would like to know if I change the one connected to onboard to the GPU using DVI (meaning both connected to GPU instead), is there a difference in resource consumption? In terms of CPU or GPU.

I only use 1 main monitor for gaming or 3D modelling and the other for extra windows e.g browser and stuff. Would the second monitor (now connected to the GPU) give the GPU extra load? If it does, should I just stick to the earlier setup?

Hope the question is clear.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If your MB BIOS allows, moving the 2nd display to the on-board video will save a small amount of the card's resources and give you a bit more performance for gaming. But not all boards allow the integrated to be active when there's a card in the PCIe x16 slot. You will have to try it and see if yours allows it.

syabilng

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
But for my first setup, second monitor connected to onboard HDMI, doesn't that mean it's displaying using onboard graphics? Does it mean it works?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I'm sorry. I mis-read. I thought you were asking which way to go. I missed the fact that you already had the monitor connected to the on-board video. Yes, the monitor connected to the on-board is using the integrated video for display. Since that works, that would be the preferred way to go. You will not be adding more load to the gfx card that way. It's not much for a 2D display, but every bit matters if the game is marginally performing at a good frame rate.

TRENDING THREADS