Dual display gfx

jurians

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2003
ive been wondering.... i have a ti4600 gainwaird that has tivo and dual dvi outputs. I was wondering if there is a decrease in fps and image quality if i play a game in one monitor while the other monitor is displaying the other side of the desktop?
-Me

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Well..
first, there aren't much games that can support for dual monitors, even they do, from what I know it's extension of your display. I don't think that you can do "one monitor with game" and "one with desktop"

jurians

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2003
hmm i run all my games with 1 monitor game 1 monitor desktop. i was wondering if anyone knows if there is a performance decrease. Its great playing games and being able to see if an im is worth replying to without alt tabbing. Also what i found out is some games come with boundaries where they stay in 1 monitor while others have no limitations and u can wander off the monitor that game is on to the second monitor. This minimizes the game.
-Me

jurians

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2003
thanks.... hmm i guess i should switch to single monitor when playing intensive games.... i play battlefield 1942 on one monitor and the other is the desktop and it runs really well. i should check it out with one monitor. hey geneticweapon you know why people dont add video-in in typical ati pro cards? i was looking for a 9700pro or something that has tivo and dual monitor support like my ti4600.

-Me

Howard

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
In theory it seems like it may lower the frame rates, because your gpu is handling a game and another display at the same time, increasing its workload. Then again, the other screen is 2d, which is an easy task for a very advanced gpu to handle.

Yes, it's 2d but I would think that would still rob the card of at least memory and SOME instruction cycles.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i cant get it to work correctly with gta3 or vc, or counterstrike. when i open the game my aim window disapears. i can keep an ie window open but my icons always get screwed up when i do it, probly due to different resolutions between monitors and the res change from the game.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015