[SOLVED] Dual display issue with NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 750 TI and 2x SAMSUNG LC32T550s

ElHumpi

Prominent
Nov 30, 2020
Hey all,

I've been running this graphics card for a long time with a single screen through a HDMI connection. I have just upgraded my screens and the HDMI connection has worked fine through one of the new screens. I've bought a DisplayPort male to DVI-D male cable hoping that I could hook the DVI connection of the graphics card up to the DisplayPort of the 2nd screen and run an extended screen setup. I haven't been able to get anything out of the DVI-D to DisplayPort connection. I've tried unplugging the other screen, powering them all on and off, updating my graphics card drivers.. and still never get anything but a blank screen on the 2nd monitor.

I have been trying to set this up using NVIDIA Control panel (also tried Display settings) and it doesn't pick up the 2nd monitor, unless I do Ctrl+Windows key+P and select Extend, then a 2nd monitor comes up as 'Analog' with a tiny size, which I feel like it just a forced thing and it still doesn't know anything about my actual connected monitor. They are both the same type of monitor.

Using Windows 10.0.18363 Build 18363.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Looking at the monitors they only have HDMI, VGA and DP connections, to the DVI side must be on the video card. You may be using the wrong cable, those cables are usually not reversible, you need to buy the exact type for A > B connection you are looking for, which in your case is DVI-D to DP, which is not the same thing as DP to DVI-D. Cable direction for the signal matters with video cards unless you are using the same connection type at both end. DP to DP cable you can swap around but DP to VGA has to be DP to VGA, you can't reverse them and do VGA to DP as an example.

Try this adapter https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DVI-DisplayPort-Adapter-Converter/dp/B077FYJTDL

Or upgrade your video card with one that had dual DP...
Looking at the monitors they only have HDMI, VGA and DP connections, to the DVI side must be on the video card. You may be using the wrong cable, those cables are usually not reversible, you need to buy the exact type for A > B connection you are looking for, which in your case is DVI-D to DP, which is not the same thing as DP to DVI-D. Cable direction for the signal matters with video cards unless you are using the same connection type at both end. DP to DP cable you can swap around but DP to VGA has to be DP to VGA, you can't reverse them and do VGA to DP as an example.

Try this adapter https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DVI-DisplayPort-Adapter-Converter/dp/B077FYJTDL

Or upgrade your video card with one that had dual DP, which should not be much more than getting adapters if you get a used card, say a 1050 Ti or AMD RX550 or 560.

Solution

ElHumpi

Prominent
Nov 30, 2020

Or upgrade your video card with one that had dual DP, which should not be much more than getting adapters if you get a used card, say a 1050 Ti or AMD RX550 or 560.

Ouch! I had wondered if they were one directional after I had bought it and it didn't work... I got DP to DVI-D and if the flow is Card to Monitor.... I have bought it the wrong way around. Thanks for the help I will one in the different direction and confirm how I went!

Ouch! I had wondered if they were one directional after I had bought it and it didn't work... I got DP to DVI-D and if the flow is Card to Monitor.... I have bought it the wrong way around. Thanks for the help I will one in the different direction and confirm how I went!

This is actually a fairly common error people make, one of the clues this is happening is that in the post there is a mix of ways they call the cable, sometimes it's DVI to DP, other times it's DP to DVI. Soon as I see that the guess is that the cable or adapter is going the wrong way. Yes the flow is from the card to the display, so if you have DP on the card and DVI on the monitor, need a DP to DVI cable. For your video card you need one of the active type adapters I linked not just a simple cable. If this was my system and it's used for games, I would upgrade the video card instead of spending 30-40 on an adapter. A used 1050 Ti should be not much more than that.

ElHumpi

Prominent
Nov 30, 2020
Got it working by buying an startech active adapter (DVI to DP) online for about $40 AUD, and a DP to DP cable for $26 AUD. I thought about looking for a new video card but I just couldn't be bothered hunting one down and switching it over at the moment. If I were to do that though, any tips on where to look at for a used graphics card?

Thanks for the help!

Got it working by buying an startech active adapter (DVI to DP) online for about $40 AUD, and a DP to DP cable for $26 AUD. I thought about looking for a new video card but I just couldn't be bothered hunting one down and switching it over at the moment. If I were to do that though, any tips on where to look at for a used graphics card?

Thanks for the help!

Whatever places you have in your area, in US we have craigslist that I use most of the time, Facebook has a marketplace for that stuff also. The money you spent on the adapter and the cable (which was a lot for a cable, they are much cheaper than 26 unless you go into a retail store that mark up those things by a large %) you would have spend on the video card and no need for the adapter. If you swap the card you have no need for the adapter so you have 40 in that just sitting there doing nothing.

Last edited: