Question Dual display issues

r2t262

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018
I have an amd radeon hd 6450 and I recently got a new hdmi to vga adapter but now whenever I plug it in to the hdmi port the screen will connect then disconnect and repeat. I have tested the adapter and monitor and both work just fine I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers multiple times and still no change. Now the only problems could be the driver, hdmi port, or the card all together.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I would think that adapter would need to be powered to reliably output.

I'm thinking the problem is actually with the adapter.

With a 6850 though, why do you need an adapter? The card should already have a VGA port?

Might be worth trying dropping the resolution as low as supported, and then mirroring the display (assuming connecting a second display). The adapter might be capable of driving low resolutions unpowered....

r2t262

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018

With a 6850 though, why do you need an adapter? The card should already have a VGA port?

Might be worth trying dropping the resolution as low as supported, and then mirroring the display (assuming connecting a second display). The adapter might be capable of driving low resolutions unpowered....
I need an adapter because both monitors are VGA.
I had another adapter that died (hens the new one) and it worked just fine on its own.
I will try that.

r2t262

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018

I just tried it and still no change

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Well any suggestions.

Avoid digital to analog converters. It's the conversion from a digital (HDMI) to analog (VGA) signal that requires power.
An HD6850 should have a DVI-I port, allowing for a passive DVI to VGA adapter.

Passive adapters like that used to be included in the box with GPUs of the era. Your local computer store probably has a bunch in the back, that you might not even have to pay for - or pay a nominal fee.
Failing that, they're a couple of bucks online.
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168124...m_re=dvi_to_vga_adapte-_-12-423-079-_-Product

r2t262

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018
Avoid digital to analog converters. It's the conversion from a digital (HDMI) to analog (VGA) signal that requires power.

Passive adapters like that used to be included in the box with GPUs of the era. Your local computer store probably has a bunch in the back, that you might not even have to pay for - or pay a nominal fee.
I actually have one of those so I will try that and see.

r2t262

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16812423079?Description=dvi to vga adapte&cm_re=dvi_to_vga_adapte--12-423-079--Product
Update tried and it didnt even try just went to its self test feature check screen.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Update tried and it didnt even try just went to its self test feature check screen.

What self test feature? I'm not familiar....

And ive noticed that u brought up the hd 6850 and I hope you know that I have an hd 6450

Sorry, typo on my part. I meant 6450. There might be a limitation on those cards that you can only use 1x analog & 1x digital at any time..... but I'm not sure.

What monitors are you using?

r2t262

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16812423079?Description=dvi to vga adapte&cm_re=dvi_to_vga_adapte--12-423-079--Product

Ive noticed that you brought up the hd

Sorry, typo on my part. I meant 6450. There might be a limitation on those cards that you can only use 1x analog & 1x digital at any time..... but I'm not sure.

The self test feature check is the moving box that shows red, green, blue, and white.

r2t262

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018

The card has been able to support using both VGA and hdmi in previous uses

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The card has been able to support using both VGA and hdmi in previous uses

I know. That's 1x analog & 1x digital (as the card still thinks it's putting out a digital display, and the adapter converts it).
But if your new adapter doesn't work properly, and cannot adequately convert the signal, it doesn't matter what it used to be able to do.

Does the card work when only the passive DVI to VGA adapter is installed (ie no VGA-VGA).

r2t262

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018
I know. That's 1x analog & 1x digital (as the card still thinks it's putting out a digital display, and the adapter converts it).
But if your new adapter doesn't work properly, and cannot adequately convert the signal, it doesn't matter what it used to be able to do.

Does the card work when only the passive DVI to VGA adapter is installed (ie no VGA-VGA).

I have tried and doesn't detect that its plugged into a display output port

r2t262

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018

I have a tv with hdmi on it and it works just fine so now its the adapter... DAMN

r2t262

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018

I'm gonna go find the other adapter I used and get that since I know for a fact it will work. Thank you for your help have a nice day.