[SOLVED] Dual Function GPU PC

Jul 8, 2020
So I am wanting to build a PC that has 2 graphics cards but they both function independently. I need to have a PC with a workstation graphics card (Quadro p2000) so that I can run Solidworks and other 3D design software. I also want to be able to game with an RTX 2070 super. So if I had a motherboard that supported Dual Graphics cards and I had separate monitors hooked to each graphics card would this work?

thanks!

Solution
Yes. Most motherboards have multiple PCIe slots. All you need is a motherboard with (2) PCIe 3.0 x16 slots and make sure that there is enough room between both slots for the intake fans of the top card to not be obstructed by the backplate of the bottom card. Then make sure that your power supply can handle powering both cards at once.

I personally run both a RTX 2060 and a RTX 2080 at the same time. The 2060 is exclusively for folding@home, the 2080 is for both gaming and folding@home. My motherboard is a MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC.
Yes. Most motherboards have multiple PCIe slots. All you need is a motherboard with (2) PCIe 3.0 x16 slots and make sure that there is enough room between both slots for the intake fans of the top card to not be obstructed by the backplate of the bottom card. Then make sure that your power supply can handle powering both cards at once.

I personally run both a RTX 2060 and a RTX 2080 at the same time. The 2060 is exclusively for folding@home, the 2080 is for both gaming and folding@home. My motherboard is a MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC.

Solution