Question Dual GPU problem

Aug 28, 2024
Hi all,

I have dual nvidia cards installed in my "junk pc" build, one gtx980Ti and one gtx950. I have read the sticky on sly/crossfire/dual GPU's. The issue/s are that when I am in game at the menu screens everything runs fine, however as soon as I load into game I get a solid colored screen right after a couple of frames of "in game". Where could the issue be? I have tried uninstalling drivers (in safe mode) and have tried to roll back drivers to recommended for the cards. I have edited group policies to exclude drivers for windows so I can try to install older drivers and have tried with and without SLI cable. seems both cards are in use according to nvidia control panel regardless of SLI cable.

Thank you,

O/S: Windows 10 pro (latest)
CPU: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: P8Z68-V PRO
RAM: 32Gig 1866mhz
GPU1: GTX 980 TI
GPU2: GTX 950
HDD: 15TB mechanical storage
SSD: 1.5TB

I am currently hooked up to HD TV for now but I have a 55in 4K 20 point touch screen which will become my main monitor as soon as i can get this build out of the lounge room lol.

Try running the game(s) with only one card and then the other. It sounds like one of the cards is dying (which is very possible for old cards like those). Game menus are just 2D graphics and it sounds like there's a problem with the 3D accelerator on one of the cards (or both).

Reactions: tumbles

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You can't actually SLI these two cards together. Remove the GTX 950 and call it a day.

While the GTX 950 and GTX 980 Ti both support SLI, that is intended for each other. As in a pair of GTX 950 or a pair of GTX 980 Ti.

GPU model must be an exact match in the 900 series. There were a few exceptions to this with rebranded GPUs in the past like the GTX 680 and GTX 770 being actually the same GPU, and a few other lower spec situations.

Not to mention that SLI was already on its way out at this point.

GTX 1070 and up allowed SLI
None of the 16 series
RTX 2070 Super and up (excluding the RTX 2070, since it was a smaller GPU)
RTX 3090 and 3090 Ti only
40 series does not support SLI.

Aug 28, 2024
Try running the game(s) with only one card and then the other. It sounds like one of the cards is dying (which is very possible for old cards like those). Game menus are just 2D graphics and it sounds like there's a problem with the 3D accelerator on one of the cards (or both).
Thanks,

So I pulled the gtx950 and ran the benchmark on the 980Ti everything worked no errors. Another note I tested the 950 by it's self and it was absolutely woeful, screen taring, glitching and just not useable at all.. so culprit found thanks for the advise.

But unfortunately the game I am testing with is still flashing to a solid screen. I think the game I am testing with is a bit heavy, Once Human.

I am not looking to break records in fps (obviously) but I am looking to make the system stable and useable for light gaming and DAW surface control with a 55inch 4k touch screen. which is why I want two GPU's. Not for SLI.

Thanks,

Reactions: Avro Arrow