Dual GPU with GTX 770 and a GTX 960?

2034d9

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
So I built two gaming rigs, one with a i5 4670 with a GTX 770 and the other with a i5 4460 and the GTX 960, and recently I was wondering if I should take one of the GPUs out of one and install it to the other, as for the next while I will only be using one computer. (Both CPU not OC)

So my question is should I even have dual GPUs, and if I should, I'm planning to add the GTX 960 to the 770 build, which has a 750w PSU- is that enough? And will having two different GPUs cause any problems?

Solution
They won't do you anything in terms of graphics performance, with a few exceptions. SLI is only supported with identical GPUs and memory amounts.

If you needed more then 3 or 4 displays or if you needed them for calculations and not graphics then you could use them together, but they would still be operating independently.

Basically a few DX12 titles are capable of using all the GPUs in a system for gaming.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
They won't do you anything in terms of graphics performance, with a few exceptions. SLI is only supported with identical GPUs and memory amounts.

If you needed more then 3 or 4 displays or if you needed them for calculations and not graphics then you could use them together, but they would still be operating independently.

Basically a few DX12 titles are capable of using all the GPUs in a system for gaming.

Solution

Twigman

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Short answer; no

Explanation; the 770 is Kepler while the 960 is Maxwell. They are completely incompatible architectures and you will not be able to SLI them. It may be possible in the future (i.e. years away) that DX12 will read a GPU as just a GPU regardless of arch or manufacturer and be able to use them both regardless, but that time is not now. But lets say you wanted to use one as a dedicated PhysX card, I *believe* thats possible, and the power supply will be able to cope with it just fine.

I just think it would give you needless headaches trying to get it to work how you want it to, rather than how the drivers limit you :-/ ~

EDIT: As Eximo quite rightly says, it would be possible to have them power multiple displays each if thats something you might need. Perhaps I'm trying to make my point too strongly but having both in the system does not mean that one would not work at the expense of the other. Both would output a picture to a connected monitor.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It is such a common question here.

Ashes of the Singularity is the only game I know that has true multi-GPU support, you can even use AMD + Nvidia + Intel. It is the prototype for DX12 games and was heavily partnered with AMD, but the game developers still have to make happen everywhere else.

The page on DX12 upcoming and in development titles is still less than 50. Game engines have to adopt it first and as long as they are supporting the XBox One and PS4 we are going to be seeing DX11 titles for a while.

TRENDING THREADS