Dual GPUs, 16 GB RAM, One Card: PowerColor Reveals Devil 13 Dual Core

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traciatim

Distinguished
That thing looks like a beast, and while not in my target for hardware that I would buy I really wish more manufacturers would do things like this more often. It seems like these days almost every card is just "Hey, look at this awesome <reference card> with this great looking <fan/light/paint/sticker>".

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Why is it rarely mentioned that the card will operate as if it had 8GB of ram due to crossfire?

I think direct x 12 might allow each gpu to utilize different data making it a true 16GB card but thats just a guess.

Not taking the "cool" factor away, but... What the... I mean, really... Why the flying pigs they would want to slap 2 Hawaiis instead of 2 Tongas. The price range where this thing will be at is just a no-buy. There is no way to justify it. Slapping 2 Tongas might not be the awe making flagship, but at least it wouldn't be a burner heat stove sucking 1000W. I mean, 4 8-pins? Jeez XD

Cheers!

Why is it rarely mentioned that the card will operate as if it had 8GB of ram due to crossfire?

I think direct x 12 might allow each gpu to utilize different data making it a true 16GB card but thats just a guess.

Not taking the "cool" factor away, but... What the... I mean, really... Why the flying pigs they would want to slap 2 Hawaiis instead of 2 Tongas. The price range where this thing will be at is just a no-buy. There is no way to justify it. Slapping 2 Tongas might not be the awe making flagship, but at least it wouldn't be a burner heat stove sucking 1000W. I mean, 4 8-pins? Jeez XD

Cheers!

It isn't going to pull 1000W. That is the minimum recommended power supply rating. It would probably be pulling around 600W in heavy loads.

To safely pull 1000W, you'd want seven 8-pin PCIe connectors, maybe eight just to be safe.

Theoretical max of 675W in a PCIe 2.0 and ~840W in a PCIe 3.0+. Not 1000W, but the CPU will, most likely, pull 130W so the overall system power will come in *very* close to 1000W, making the PC a stove, haha. I'll assume an enthusiast will have an OC'ed CPU for this thing as well, so the 130W could be even more if using an Intel -E or heavy OC'ed AMD FX.

Cheers!

First off, kudos to the powercolor team for managing to fit both on the same pcb with the amount of cooling they did on a single gpu card. That's some serious skill. Although why, why the 2 hottest gpu's on the planet (or nearly)? Hmm, if only there was a dual am3+ board so I could pair it with a duo of fx 9590's. Then I could game away and not even have to fire up the furnace this winter lol.

They mentioned a 1000w psu with 4 x 8pin pcie cables. Envisioning all those cables hanging out of the card, is it just me or is anyone else immediately visualizing Chevy's awesome wiring job from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation?

"just - about.. got it..."
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/wjZWav-LIns/hqdefault.jpg

If on the other hand they paired this card as a package deal with the 9590, instead of a 'free mouse' they could bundle a small fire extinguisher :p

Something like this maybe, it's already halfway there to a gaming theme.
http://s98.photobucket.com/user/Tenki-Kun/media/JokePics/little-fire-extinguisher_zpsc1fc8341.jpg.html

Neat card. There's really not much to say that hasn't already been said.

Stats not listed:

4 PCI-E cables bundled, to the same location (rounded):

1" diameter, 3" circumference (varies by PSU mfr)

Plan with care. :D

Xorak

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
I thought the last devil 13 didn't work out so well? Unless they've figured out how to make the crossfire setup transparent to the OS, (appear as one big GPU) which I doubt, I am 100% sure I'd buy a Fury X instead.

joex444

Distinguished
We can probably learn a lot of the power usage from the 295X2, which was two 290X chips "slapped" together. Each 290X uses about 295W peak, but the 295X2 uses about 500W peak. AMD gave a pretty detailed requirements list for the 295X2, stating it needs 50A on +12V, and they suggested a few PSUs for it -- all 1500W or higher, but it's very clear that the card uses nowhere near 1500W.

Here they've recommended 1000W PSUs, and a 390 8GB card uses 250W peak, so naively we'd expect this to use 500W peak. However, with the 295X2 we would've naively expected 590W and it comes in at 500W, so we may well expect a power savings here of 15% or so, bringing us to around 420W or 35A +12V.

TallestJon96

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
"With two of the most power hungry GPUs on the same PCB, PowerColor is requiring a minimum of a 1,000 W power supply to operate this card, and it demands four 8-pin PCIe leads to power on."

Yeah, no thanks, I'll just buy a 980 ti or Fury X so that I can avoid the fire hazard.

But really, this thing is consuming enoigh power that you could run 2 980tis. And for what? So you can get equal performance to a 980 ti when everything is running right (no CX driver issues, micro stutter, etc.), at higher cost and more heat?

Is there a niche I'm not considering for this card?

f-14

Distinguished
I cant even imagine the sag this card will have ... but that looks awesome and I also want one!
that was my first thought, that cooler is so ridiculously huge the weight of it alone will break the pci-e slot.
3 slots really? i wouldn't even install it unless there was a liquid cooler block and one that makes it single slot. it's time to drop the dvi and hdmi ports and start going all thunderbolt ports and get these things back to single slot solutions.
hdmi needs to die first holding up the pc industry like hostages that was 1600x1200 in 2001 1080p restriction is a joke 2560x1600@ 46" is where we should have been already since 2006 vga needs to die dvi needs to die everything non-thunderbolt needs to die, the highest speed should always win.
that's what adapters to the other ports are for.

Jojo9752

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
Guys, this is just a 295x2 with 4GB more ram and downgraded to air cooling. Actually you can consider it worse than a 295x2 since this has two R9 290 GPUs instead of R9 290X GPUs.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010

Theoretical max of 675W in a PCIe 2.0 and ~840W in a PCIe 3.0+. Not 1000W, but the CPU will, most likely, pull 130W so the overall system power will come in *very* close to 1000W, making the PC a stove, haha. I'll assume an enthusiast will have an OC'ed CPU for this thing as well, so the 130W could be even more if using an Intel -E or heavy OC'ed AMD FX.

Cheers!

Reading from some benchmark done by Guru3D, a 390X draw on average 260W. Two cards should average 520W. They recommend an 800W PSU for crossfire of 390X. So quite far from the 1000W required.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Sigh! with the price of this beast it would make sense to have a watercooling system on instead of razer mouse. I wouldnt mind and i would pay a bit more even.

Status
Not open for further replies.