dual graphics cards?

Apothecary

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2004
Has anyone ever produced a mobo that accepted 2 graphics cards. If you do dual processor distributed computing, why not dual video card? I have no idea if this is possible. The nature of the busses may make this not feasible. Just wondering. Ever heard of it?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Can't do two AGP slots, but several machines used to use multiple PCI cards for serious work, back when PCI was considered an adequate solution.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
AGP is a specialize port, I think it's ported directly to RAM. For some reason it can't be shared.

Yes, you can add as many PCI video cards as you like allong with your AGP card.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jflongo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
Also, dual agp cards are very cheap now. You can easily find a ton of them for under $100 now and run two monitors nicely. Now if you wanted to be a spaz, get a dual agp card, and 5 pci cards, and run 7 monitors ;-)

<i> If your computer is your best friend, maybe you should rethink your life.</i> :wink: