[SOLVED] Dual GTX 970 vs New GPU

Oct 20, 2021
We all know GPU prices are ridiculous. I already have an old 970 on my rig and recently upgraded CPU's. I am wanting to upgrade my GPU but the prices are the only thing holding me back. It would honestly be cheaper for me to buy another 970 and SLI bridge to run dual GPUs than it would be to invest in a mediocre 1660.

Now my question is how would it compare to a $600 1660 TI? Am i better off dropping the $600 on a new GPU or is the $250 970 to run dual GPU's a good idea considering the market?

Solution
We all know GPU prices are ridiculous. I already have an old 970 on my rig and recently upgraded CPU's. I am wanting to upgrade my GPU but the prices are the only thing holding me back. It would honestly be cheaper for me to buy another 970 and SLI bridge to run dual GPUs than it would be to invest in a mediocre 1660.

Now my question is how would it compare to a $600 1660 TI? Am i better off dropping the $600 on a new GPU or is the $250 970 to run dual GPU's a good idea considering the market?
I would keep the single 970 before I bought another for SLI.

So your options should be keep the 970 or buy a new card.
Sli doesn't work well on newer titles and a secondhand 970 isn't worth $250 at all.

I sold a nearly new one on here for £100 to do a member a favour a few months back.

Stick with the single 970 you have and wait for a deal on a single card.

Even a 1660 will eclipse 2 x gtx 970's in sli.

Dont forget that vram isn't doubled with sli so you still only end up with 4gb.

Thats not enough for high settings on most modern titles.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

I would keep the single 970 before I bought another for SLI.

So your options should be keep the 970 or buy a new card.

Solution

jasonf2

Distinguished
Something else overlooked here is that while your flops figure can increase by combining cards the API interface that those 900 series cards is not. A large number of the improvements added to cards is tech to make rendering more efficient. Tech like DLSS reduces the actual quantity rendered while maintaining good fidelity. So even if your flop count adds up to match the modern card SLI losses , the screen tearing/ micro stutter issues( associated with out of order rendering) and not having the latest directx support will put your 900s well behind any ampere or Turing class card.

Update: And I forgot to mention that SLI can be fickle.

Does you motherboard support SLI? What brand and model motherboard do you have?