Dual GTX780 For After Effects Boost?

May 23, 2018
I work almost exclusively in Adobe After Effects, Premiere and Photoshop and while I need to eventually rebuild my aging workstation, current RAM prices will be keeping me from that goal for a while yet. In the meantime I was thinking that adding an additional GPU to my existing WS might boost its performance.

This the current build:

• Windows 7 Ultimate 64
    ASUS Rampage III Extreme
    i7 980X 6-core CPU
    24GB RAM
    RAID 1 boot drive (two 500GB SSDs)
    RAID 10 data drive (four 1TB WD Black HDDs)
    EVGA GTX780 6GB graphics card (tried upgrading to a GTX1070 but the MB chipset isn't fully compatible)
I've read where dual GPUs can drastically reduce render times in AE on newer systems and was wondering if anyone knew whether adding a second, matching GTX780 via SLI to my system would offer a noticeable performance boost.

Thanks!

Solution
From what I can tell. You won’t want to use SLI. Just have both cards installed and all monitors connected to the primary adapter.

Dual GPU doesn’t appear to scale as well either. You’d likely be better off using a single GTX 1080/1080 Ti and selling off your existing 780. Assuming you are using Adobe CC and keeping it updated not an older CS.

Assuming Adobe has fixed GTX 10 series compatibility issues in AE.
From what I can tell. You won’t want to use SLI. Just have both cards installed and all monitors connected to the primary adapter.

Dual GPU doesn’t appear to scale as well either. You’d likely be better off using a single GTX 1080/1080 Ti and selling off your existing 780. Assuming you are using Adobe CC and keeping it updated not an older CS.

Assuming Adobe has fixed GTX 10 series compatibility issues in AE.

Solution
May 23, 2018
Thanks. That's kinda what I suspected. The 1070/1080 isn't fully compatible with the MB's old chipset so I think my best option is to just wait out the high RAM prices and then build an all-new machine =)