dual GTX970 vs. single 1080ti for ART rendering, not gaming

llgarner

Prominent
Oct 3, 2017
I use software that takes advantage of the gpu, specifically Nvidia Iray and some other 3D software, and am considering going to a second GTX 970 rather than swapping out to a 1080ti.. input welcome. There are tons of benchmarks out there for gaming comparisons, but I find very little when it comes to this kind of thing.

Solution
Iray ?? Seen In the past a single 980ti perform virtually the same as dual 970's.

Because of the scene doubling onto 2 lots of seperate vram it does not perform twice as well , you're also limited to 4gb as its not doubled even in a non-sli configuration

So its virtually guaranteed a 1080ti will perform a fair bit better to say the least.

KittyFish62

Respectable
Dec 13, 2016

What bull$h!t are you spouting out? A gpu is a gpu, it can be used for whatever you want. You don't have to get a titan X, actually, especially not a titan X compared to how much better a 1080 ti is. Also, you don't HAVE to get a quadro for that kind of work. Again, a gpu is a gpu, although quadro does have a few extra features.

i'm referring to the statement of how little the information he can find about productivity works, well that's obvious, since the GTX are much more geared toward gamers and normal consumer instead of content creators....
that's why if he want to find those kind of benchmark, the Titan series and Quadro series will have more info about it, since those series are geared toward those kind of works...

if he wants the GTX series, he can always find the quadro's benchmarks that suits his needs, and then try to find the GTX equivalent of that Quadro :/

GPU are GPU, but they had different target, u will never see Nvidia promoting a Quadro for gaming, and most promotion Nvidia made about GTX line up are always about their gaming performance...

KittyFish62

Respectable
Dec 13, 2016
While you are right that they have different targets, they can still be used for whatever you want. It doesn't have to be for gaming or productivity. A quadro would do just fine in gaming and so would a 1080 ti in productivity. Also, the Titan X and Titan Xp are actually aimed at gamers, so you're wrong about that side.

well Titan is more of a mixed bag imo, it cost too much for even an enthusiast gamer imo while the gain are too slight [about 9-12% +performance for almost double the price of a 1080ti], but the thing is, i read somewhere that titan's performance in productivity is pretty good, especially after some driver optimization, which leads me to putting the titan in the productivity side instead of gaming

also, i never said he cannot game with a quadro or vice versa, i'm just saying that each GPU had their own roles, although that doesn't mean u have to follow the role all the time :) [though with their respective roles, the driver would also support them differently, which might give them extra edge in certain case]

i'm just amused on how that guy answers me without understanding the whole meaning of what i'm about to say [at least he could've ask first :/ before going into the bullsh!t part]

Titan's Advertisement: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/design-visualization/products/titan-xp/
NVIDIA PASCAL TITAN Xp is purpose-built to deliver up to 3X the performance of previous-generation graphics cards*, enabling amazing new possibilities for creatives, researchers, and PC enthusiasts.
UP TO
3X FASTER PERFORMANCE
LATEST GAMING TECHNOLOGIES
NEXT-GEN VR EXPERIENCES
TITAN Xp Delivers New Levels of Performance for Creatives. Learn More.
it goes both ways for the Titan :) it offers gaming performance and also productivity performance [at almost twice the price of a 1080ti....]

@OP, to answer your question
a single GPU would always be better imo:
1. opens up the chance for another GPU for SLI [should u require it later, u can have a 1080ti SLI]
2. 1080ti is a newer gen, offers decent performance as a single GPU solution
3. more VRAM, and also, faster version [11GB GDDR5X]
4. SLI doesn't meant it's 970 x 2 Vs 1080ti, the match would probably 970 x 1.6/1.7 vs 1080Ti, and imo, the 1080ti would still win [if the rules in terms of gaming performance applies to the productivity too]

Yes, this.

Don't be amused by those aggressive people. I'm pretty sure a moderator will correct him when they see his reply.

To the OP..

The thing is, yes you can use a Quadro for gaming and a GTX series for productivity. The thing is, that games will run much better on the GTX series because they are optimized for those GPUs. On the other hand, professional productivity software will run much better on a Quadro because both the software and the Quadro line up is optimized for that.

Iray ?? Seen In the past a single 980ti perform virtually the same as dual 970's.

Because of the scene doubling onto 2 lots of seperate vram it does not perform twice as well , you're also limited to 4gb as its not doubled even in a non-sli configuration

So its virtually guaranteed a 1080ti will perform a fair bit better to say the least.

Solution