Dual Hard Drive in HP DV7 Series Laptop

romilnagrani

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Hi

i wish to have a dv7 series laptop in coming days..i am aware of its dual hard drive feature which provides 2 hard drives... i had some doubts

See image first

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4540/hpdualharddrive.jpg

As seen in the image, HP gives the two option

Option1 : See Red colored (1) in the image. Here theres a 500 GB HDD

Option 2: See Red Colored (2) in image. Here is a 1 TB (500 X 2) HDD

please ignore the RPM factor

Wht i hve understood is that, if you there is a dual hard drive it is represented as :

"A "x 2 (where A= size of 1 HDD)

Now the problem is: i wish to buy a dual hard drive laptop, but it should have only 1 500GB HDD in it (similar to Option 1), the second hard drive slot should be empty & that hard disk i wish to buy from market in near future (if needed). Is that configuration seems possible?

I am confused as in option 1, theres a straight 500 GB while in option 2 its 500 X 2. ...which means in option 2 there is a secondary hard drive for sure....

Please reply

its urgent

thanks

Solution
to continue from your last thread on the dv7-2185dx laptop

I would say that if you get the straight 500GB then its one drive and the other slot is empty. If you go with the 500GBx2 option they give you two 500GB in RAID0 (as the size is 1TB). Personally, unless you need the RAID0 speed, best to either reinstall in RAID1 or just have 2 separate drives as C and D.

Worse case is that you just have to remove/change a drive in future if it doesn't come with what you expect. Why not chat with someone from HP online? I've done it with an old laptop that was out of warranty and they gave me some useful advice.

takenra

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
to continue from your last thread on the dv7-2185dx laptop

I would say that if you get the straight 500GB then its one drive and the other slot is empty. If you go with the 500GBx2 option they give you two 500GB in RAID0 (as the size is 1TB). Personally, unless you need the RAID0 speed, best to either reinstall in RAID1 or just have 2 separate drives as C and D.

Worse case is that you just have to remove/change a drive in future if it doesn't come with what you expect. Why not chat with someone from HP online? I've done it with an old laptop that was out of warranty and they gave me some useful advice.

Solution

howardp6

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
If you look at the user manual it indicates there are two drive doors. There is usually a carrier you would have to purchase separately on HP laptop, if the second drive bay is is empty. The part number is 516350-001 for the brackets, connector cable, mylar cover with table and four rubber feet. The after market drive would be cheaper than option two. You will have to make certain the height of the drive will allow it to fit in the drive bay.

romilnagrani

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
to takenra:

thanks for your reply,

it means if i go with option 1 (wrt image link that i have attached) it would mean that i would get one HDD with 500 GB and the other secondary hard drive bay as an empty slot, which could be useful for me to buy a hdd from market and put into laptop whenever i needed...Is that correct?

i would still confirm with HP guys

the reason for asking these question again & again is that as major laptop manufacture don't provide the second option to install another HDD...as except RAM nothing is upgradeable in Laptop

thanks

ijtaylor

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Hi, did you ever get this laptop problem sorted out ?

I also have a customer looking for a similar setup, and we are considering the DV7 laptop fitted with a standard 320gb disk, and then installing our own 80gb SSD drive as the main system drive.

I'd be interested to know if you got any further, and what your experiences were ?

thanks.

G

I'm thinking of doing something similar but since getting the actual hp hard drive is actually kinda expensive, I was gonna buy a hard drive to put in there and get a hp hard drive bay thing to install in my laptop