dual HDMI Monitors on this graphics card

gotu308

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Yes i have a MSI R7850 Twin Frozr OC AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 which has 1HDMI Port and 2 mini display ports! I have a Mini display port to HDMI..the reason i am asking is cause the HDMI from the card is going to my avermedia game capture card in my second computer and was wondering can i use the Mini display to hdmi to be able to use on my HDMI monitor?

Solution

It looks like most of those kinds of adapters do transmit audio. If you already have the adapter then the only way to know for sure is to try it :p

bitwright

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
I believe HDMI and display port carry different signals, so you would need a converter to go between the two. It looks like your video card has a DVI port, and since DVI and HDMI carry the same signal it would be better to get a DVI to HDMI adapter or use a DVI to HDMI cable. DVI does not carry sound though. I'm not sure if you are concerned about that though.

bitwright

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

Did you mean dp to hdmi? I mentioned in my last post that dvi to hdmi would not carry sound. You would have to hook up sound some other way if you went that route (like using a 3.5mm stereo cable or something).

As for dp to hdmi, I believe dp can carry sound, but I have no idea if it would survive the conversion. Depends on the converter I guess.

bitwright

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

It looks like most of those kinds of adapters do transmit audio. If you already have the adapter then the only way to know for sure is to try it :p

Solution