Dual HDMI port Video Card?

Phonetek

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
There are so many video cards out there these days and I am pretty clueless on what's what anymore. I'm not looking for some massive powerhouse of a video card and the budget is very limited. All I want is simple...2 HDMI ports so I can run dual monitors simultaneously and that's it. It doesn't need to sing and dance. I would assume that any video card that would do this would be a performance upgrade from what's on the motherboard. I've looked around but there is so many out there it's overwhelming and I of course want to get the right one that will fit in my computer.
The computer model is Compaq CQ5814
Here is the specs link http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c02859370

detain1000

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
There are actually either very few, or no video cards with more than one HDMI connection, so in order to connect two HDMI only monitors, you will need to use a DVI/DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. Luckily, these cables are usually pretty cheap, and should work with just about any video card; however, if you plan on using an AMD graphics card, then at least one of the monitors will NEED to be connected via DisplayPort, be it through an adapter or not, as AMD makes that a requirement for multi-monitor setups.

Phonetek

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
I don't have a brand preference so it doesn't have to be AMD. i just want to keep it simple. My son has a habbit of stealing my monitor and rather than dealing with pins getting bent which has happened more than once I figured HDMI would be the way to go. Not to mention with my seriously poor vision it would certainly be easier. I could also opt into getting two cards with single HDMI ports I would think? Or doesn't it work that way anymore? I guess that also depends on which slots I can put them in. My model has 2 PCI Express x1, 1 PCI Express x4 and 1 Half-Length MiniCard x1 Which would be the way to go?

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED

detain1000

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Don't worry about looking for a video card designed specifically for pcie x16, you can run any video card in a lower speed slot(assuming that the slot is the same length) and still have it run, just at the lower bus speed. For low end gpu's this lower speed shouldn't have too much if an effect, however, if you plan on using a gaming gpu, expect to see heavy performance hits as your cpu will be unable to transfer data at a high enough rate for the gpu. If that is the case, you may have to upgrade your motherboard to allow for newer graphics cards to work. Also, multiple gpu's for multiple outputs does still work, but if you want to do anything beyond separate monitors, the will need to be connected via ski, and will only work with NVIDIA cards, as AMD has removed that capability from its newer cards.

Phonetek

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
Just an update. I did find that I had a 16x video card in my stash of parts but I don't have a 16x slot, just the 4x, 1x and that half length mini card 1x. The 16x card does have the clearance and length to fit in the 4x slots but I would assume it wouldn't work in a 4x slot. I wouldn't attempt such a thing unless I knew it was safe. A motherboard upgrade isn't in the stars for me at this point. Starting to think I'm stuck with a single monitor until it is

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
if the 4x slot is open so that a 16x card fits in, then it will work fine. won't be game-grade, but will be fine for desktop-grade. see picture - red circled slot is what you need! the back is open so that a longer card will physically fit.

open-closed-PCI-slots.jpg

Phonetek

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
Okay, I'll check it out and give it a whirl and let you know my findings. Before I plug my monitor into it I'll see if the fan on the card spins up. If not I guess the search goes on. I still have plenty of parts to sift through. I'm pretty sure I have another 16x video card somewhere.

Lynnzer

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016
I know this is a late response but I was also in the same situation with 2 HDMI monitors.
I have the answer though. Inexpensive too.
If your video card has a DVI outlet on it, as mine does, then the output from that is digital. All you need is a DVI to HDMI cable.
There'#s no sound connection via that cable but if you already have it from the main HDI lead that's no problem.
Less than $5 will sort it for you.

TRENDING THREADS