Dual Head and TV Tuners

G

Does anyone have any experience with any TV Tuner cards and Dual Head configurations (eg G400 Max, GF2 MX, seperate AGP/PCI card). If you have, can you please detail your machine specs and operating system running?

Just would like to know, RAM, tv tuner brand, video card(s) used and processor speed.

Cheers,

================
Ian McGinley
parawolf

G

Hey,

I used to run 2 monitors, with 2 Riva TNT's. My system had 64 mb ram and a 233 K6 processor (back in the Day) If your gonna do it get a decent rig, and here's something if your risky enough to try could be very rewarding. It's called multi-head gaming. What that means is if you have 5 different monitor you can see 5 different sections of the screen, so theoretically you can have a full 360 view in any 3D Game. Go here for more http://www.planetquake.com/mhg

Good Luck.

Timothy Stankus
One of the First AMD Athlon Users =)

muk

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I use TV Max by Zoltrix
System config.
Cel 500
Matrox G400
256mg ram
win98se
two 19" monitors

works great

Mike
Tomshardware Guide
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Muk on 11/11/00 07:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

For dual monitors G400 Max is a good choice.
G400 Max uses 360-MHz RAMDAC, whereas Geforce 2 cards use 350-MHz RAMDAC, :-(
I am working with G400 Max, they are very good with my multimedia programs like Flash, Director, and it is very good with WYSIWYG programs (Dreamweaver, Frontpage), in one side (first monitor) you program and in another you see your results. It is very usefull.

G

Hmmm 3 responses and only one of them were clueful. No wonder i don't read the posts on slashdot anymore.

That you for that recommendation about the TV tuner card. I didn't want recommendation about various dual head configurations or required setups to sucessfully run dual head. I wanted to know what experiences where with dual head configurations WITH a TV Tuner card... and what recommendations of brand of tv tuners people recommend. I didn't think that was so difficult.

==============
Ian McGinley
parawolf

SmileyBri

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What he means to say is "Thank you very much for your input on the Dual Head configurations. I am most interested in brands of TV tuner cards that work well with Dual Head video cards. Is anyone currently using, or has had problems with any specific brands?"

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well all I could say with Matrox G400 with TV is... you can use the TV as a second monitor, view movie (just about any media players) on the TV while working your web site etc... Does that answer you question? If you want to get TV Tuner ask someone with Marvel series instead.

Smart guys are not smart; they only see things in different perspective.
1st <b>member</b>!

G

I've tried a Matrox Marvel G400/Voodoo 5500 PCI combo. So long as you set the Marvel to be the primary display (in the BIOS), it works great. Problem is, games don't work all that well. Those games that don't allow you to select your 3D card will default to the Matrox (but they run fine), while those that allow you to select your accelerator came up like it was missing half the scan lines. I think this might be related to the SLI architecture of the V5500 where one chip is writing to one display while the other chip is attempting to write to the other (or something like that). In either case, the game runs fine, but it looks like you're watching it through a set of half-closed louvre blinds. If you ever find a solution to this, please let me know. I'd love to have this configuration working as it provides the best of all worlds...

System specs...

Athlon 750
256MB RAM
Matrox Marvel G400 AGP
Voodoo 5 5500 PCI
Athlon KT7-100 RAID

G

I have (had) a couple iterations of dual monitor setups with TV tuner cards. each case had a seperate pci tv card, although the rainbow runner was 'matrox Gx00' specific.

All running o/c 1Ghz athlon, either asus k7m or now k7v motherboard, 256Meg cas 2 pc133 sdram, symbios scsi, sblive, and intel pro 100 server NIC.

Running win98se, G400max with a rainbow runner card (also matrox of course). Video fine, but corrupts often if program is restarted after playing another video (say mpeg).

running win2k pro, same setup, but the beta drivers for the rainbow are annoying in dualhead mode (any 'display' during channel changes, etc, blank out video). Single headed mode works fine. installing g200 pci (or a permedia2 pci) as second monitor card causes application to not work, period.

Now, finally, working, sorta happy situation. geforce 2 gts primary card, g200 pci secondary, hauppauge wintv-fm card, win2k. works great, although tv video seems limited to 640x480.

G

I have an Asus a7v
Geforce DDR (asus)
S3 virge DX
and a Studio PCTV PRO from Pinnacle systems

This tv tuner card works ONLY ont the primary adapter but is doesn't matter if it is the geforce or the s3

Sjouke