Status
Not open for further replies.

V-Key

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I was wondering, would I get better performance if I was to build a dual intel x5680 (hex-core) processor system, for 3d rendering, photoshop and video games. Or should I just stay with a hex core i7 system. I am not a professional, I want to build a multi purpose system, that will be able to tackle any type of workload at the consumer level.

^+1. This is highly dependent on your application. For example, Maya will benefit quite a lot from a 2P set up. A good 2P workstation with a workstation GPU and a SSD will run about $2500-3000 easily.

If you are not a pro, a i7 930/950 OCed set up should be more than enough. A 2P isn't really worth it for most people.

edit:
Also, if you don't need this system ASAP, I recommend waiting for Sandy Bridge and see esp. if you don't need a 2P.

A Dual socket motherboard is ~500 dollars minimum. Your processors are $1,723.15 EACH. It's FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS JUST FOR MOBO AND 2X CPU'S. I would assume you can't afford this so I'm not going to comment further about it.

Instead just go with a core i7 QUAD core. You don't need a hex core. I would suggest since you're not a professional (you don't make money on it) that you aim it as a gaming PC which would be a lot more affordable and assumes most other purposes.

V-Key

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010

Actually I can afford this, my wife want me to get it as my Christmas/birthday present. I have been wanting to get a dual processor MAC, but it looks like I can build a windows based system just as powerful at about half the cost. So what do you about building something like they have by digital storm (http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=391678 ) vs apple power mac.

I think it's a waste of money since you won't even use 1/4 of the systems power. If you do get a double processor setup you'll probably want windows 7 professional/ultimate/enterprise to actually make use of it. Anything less and you won't be able to install windows. So make sure you get windows 7 pro.

Macs use the exact same hardware so that all depends if you think paying the extra $$$^$$ for the apple logo is worth it or not. You also have limitations on hardware and software on Macs that you don't have on a pc.

You could build one or you could buy a PC branded workstation from HP or Dell with the same hardware as well. The digital storm site looks decent but never used it. I guess if you have 10 grand to throw in the garbage this would be the thing to buy.

Best I could do was 16000 dollar system at your http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=391678 site heh

A Dual socket motherboard is ~500 dollars minimum.
More like $300-350 or so for a good 2P Supermicro/Tyan/ASUS board. $500 would be like the SR2 and the much higher end boards.
Buy yes, I do agree that a 2P Hexcore set up is more than overkill, even for most renderings. And yes, I do agree that even a 2P is probably overkill for what OPs doing.

I am not a professional, I want to build a multi purpose system, that will be able to tackle any type of workload at the consumer level.
If you are a consumer, you DO NOT need a 2P set up! A singe i7 950 (esp. OCed) will be MORE than enough.

If you seriously have money to spend, I recommend you invest that money else where (ie. 2x IPS 30" LCD).

No he doesn't need a server board he needs a server/gaming board. let me know when you find one that doesn't have onboard graphics and has multiple 16x pci-e 2.0 slot made for gaming that's $350 and can do SLI :p lol

themadmarine

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016

As one who has owned and used both Apple and Intel based PC's over the last 15 to 20 years or so, I must beg to differ. The Apple products are much better than most if not all of the other manfacturers products. I have found them to be much more reliable products as well. If I was going to do a great deal of video or graphics processing, I would always pick the Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS