Dual LAN motherboards

G

I am building a system and have two isp providers. Do dual lan mobos allo?w me to be serviced by both independently

Squeaky

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Two network adapters mean your computer can connect to two different networks at the same time (your modem connects you to your ISPs network). However, I'm not certain how your OS would handle this. Windows might just use whatever link is available, meaning if Port A on ISP A is busy, it will send the request out on Port B to ISP B (OR, it might see the internet first on Port A, and never bother with Port B). Note, however, that without special software, you will not be able to share both connections over a single transfer (i.e. downloading a single file in Internet Explorer will happen over a single connection).

In this day and age, I'm not sure why you need two ISPs. If you are trying to do some sort of load balancing (i.e. using each one evenly, or using one for one type of traffic, and another for a different type), simply plugging them into your computer won't accomplish that. You would need special hardware/software to accomplish this. If, on the other hand, you are simply trying to combine slow DSL with slow ISDN for greater bandwidth (i.e. download a file AND check email at the same time), this might work.