Dual LGA1366 Server Motherboard (Tyan S7012) crashing with graphics card installed.

Pyrozo

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
Hello,

System Specs:
Motherboard: Tyan s7012G4MNR (Link to manuall; Pg10-12 for PCIe slot layout and labels)
Chipset: Intel 5520 / ICH10R
CPU: 2x Xeon X5660
GPU: R9 280 (Tested with GT 210 as well)
Ram: 2x8GB, Single Channel
PSU: EVGA 850W G2

Basically: Do you have any idea why using a graphics card would cause the system to completely power-off crash?

It started happening when I moved the GPU from the x4 slot (PCIE3) to an x8 (PCIE4 or PCIE5) slot, and I was using PCIe WiFi and USB3 cards in those slots beforehand without any issue. And it doesn't matter whether it's a GT 210 or an R9 280, the crashing occurs. ****I should add that the problem has now occurred even with the graphics card in its original slot (PCIE3)

I need the GPU to be in one of the x8 slots because of bottlenecking which was happening in the x4 slot (something to do with going through both the Intel 5520 and the ICH10R chip as far as I can tell, rather than just the Intel 5520.)

Finally, it happens pretty sporadically and instantly, no blue screen and no crash dump. The system just clicks itself off without warning of any kind. Seems to occur more often when using Firefox or loading/playing GTAV.

Things I've done:
-Reset the BIOS settings
-Tested CPU Thermals with Prime95
-Cleaned and reinstalled GPU drivers using DDU

Things I've considered:

-Flashing the BIOS (Extremely wary, never done it before)
-Reinstalling Windows (Going to buy a cheap hard drive and try this tomorrow)

-It could maybe be something to do with PCIe power delivery through the motherboard?

Thanks in advance if there is anything you can advise. I'm really desperate at this point I'm completey out of my depth.