Dual link DVI GPU but HDMI monitor. Assistance required :[

Anurag Waugh

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Hello,
I wanted to get rid of my VGA 768p monitor and get a 1080p one. Sp i was doing some research and found out that the monitor that i wanted had support for VGA and HDMI but came with a VGA cable. So i have to get a new HDMI cable. Now i see that I have been using a dual link DVI-I to VGA. So what should i do?
1- Does it matter whether id be using dual dvi or hdmi
2- Should i get a dvi to hdmi and buy one hdmi cable? Or should i do the opposite? And where will i get these cables?
Thank you in advance =]
P. S GPU- r9 270. Desired monitor- Dell s22400l

Solution
1. Nope. For a 1080p 60hz monitor, DVI vs HDMI makes no difference.
2. Again, doesn't matter. Newegg or whatever electronics retailer is in your area. Dont be scammed by "premium" cables or adapters, its a digital signal so it works 100% or not at all regardless of cable quality, so get the cheapest one you can bear to look at.
1. Nope. For a 1080p 60hz monitor, DVI vs HDMI makes no difference.
2. Again, doesn't matter. Newegg or whatever electronics retailer is in your area. Dont be scammed by "premium" cables or adapters, its a digital signal so it works 100% or not at all regardless of cable quality, so get the cheapest one you can bear to look at.

Solution
Doesnt matter. The only difference between DVI-D and DVI-I is that DVI-I supports the analog signal that VGA uses, which means you can easily adapt it. The chances of sticking a DVI-VGA adapter on the end of the cable is pretty much nil, so you will never really find a DVI-I cable.
Dual Link-DVI is basically the swiss army knife of display standards. It can be adapted too everything and in practical terms will do everything.