rabbidreader

Honorable
Aug 15, 2014
I've read about setting up dual m.2 nvme slots as a RAID configuration, BUT would it be logical/foolish to use one Asus Prime H370-A M.2 NVMe slot to hold my OS (Win 10) and all my programs and the other for files? Would I be over doing this setup when the same results might have been acheived on by using one slot and partitioned the drive as C: \ for OS and programs and D:\ for files? I'm not sure I want to do the RAID setup. What is an optimal setup? Or, a better setup than the simplistic, potentially less than optimal idea I stated above? I am not looking to max out speed, but looking for a sound, logical configuration. RAID vs. Non-RAID setups. Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
By the way... I know I am kind of shooting myself in the foot by not considering ‘non-American’ made drives, but I am simply trying to use my domestically-derived stimulus money to purchase domestically(?)-manufactured/made products...(even though it is highly likely that only part of the drive is truly ‘domestic’. So, do you have any thoughts on:
Crucial P5, Sabrent Rocket or Western Digital-Black drives? I am thinking of 1- 500GB drive for the OS and Apps/Programs and 1- 1TB drive for files.
Any of those is acceptable.
And 500GB + 1TB is a good combination.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
No RAID please. Serves little purpose in the consumer space, especially with NVMe drives
Of any type.

One drive for the OS and applications, another drive for other things. Personal files, music, movies, games, etc.

Reactions: King_V

rabbidreader

Honorable
Aug 15, 2014
No RAID please. Serves little purpose in the consumer space, especially with NVMe drives
Of any type.

One drive for the OS and applications, another drive for other things. Personal files, music, movies, games, etc.
And...in doing the setup as you mentioned, there shouldn’t be any BIOS tweaks, right? It sounded like only the RAID setups required BIOS tweaks, BUT please correct me if I am mistaken. This will be my first dual setup. Thanks

rabbidreader

Honorable
Aug 15, 2014
By the way... I know I am kind of shooting myself in the foot by not considering ‘non-American’ made drives, but I am simply trying to use my domestically-derived stimulus money to purchase domestically(?)-manufactured/made products...(even though it is highly likely that only part of the drive is truly ‘domestic’. So, do you have any thoughts on:
Crucial P5, Sabrent Rocket or Western Digital-Black drives? I am thinking of 1- 500GB drive for the OS and Apps/Programs and 1- 1TB drive for files.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Any of those is acceptable.
And 500GB + 1TB is a good combination.

ASK THE COMMUNITY