Question Dual memory no improvement over single?

Vtec 9000

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
Hello,

After watching many videos by top tech YouTube content creators, showing the vast improvements for gaming by upgrading from a single stick of ram to a dual configuration.
(They were seeing frame rates increases of anything between 20-30fps by swapping out the single stick for a dual config.)

I decided to do the same by purchasing two 8GB Corsair vengeance ram @3200mhz. Paired these with my Asus z170 gaming pro motherboard and my 6700k @4.7Ghz.

I've made sure everything looks ok in the bios and have the XMP profile selected.

Windows is showing 16GB of ram installed. I checked for the proper installation of the ram on the manufactuers website. Which is slots 2 & 4.

However I see no improvements as I bench marked 4 games and firestrike before installing my new ram.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

I do an cosmos reset when I am installing new ram or stuff into my computer lucky i don't have to take the battery out got switch on my motherboard. Anyway its always better to run dual mode then single anyway your bios might be using old ram setting so go into bios and change it

Anyway just so you knows that your computer has different specs and components then the person on YouTube that why they might have more frame rates.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Download and run CPU-Z, and look at the Memory tab. It should state that your RAM is in dual channel and list a memory clock of 1600 MHz. If that's the case, your RAM is running correctly.

Not all games will see a significant boost from dual channel.

Vtec 9000

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
I followed the motherboards manual for installing the memory, so I believe its in the correct slots. Also windows task manager is showing 2 out of 4 dimms installed at a speed of 3200mhz.

Cpu-z is showing dual configuration and at a speed of 1600mhz.

All looks ok,

This is one of the videos I watched, clearly shows a huge improvement

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0jb0hCMXfo&t=583s

Thanks for replying

Vtec 9000

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
Any other ideas then? I just don’t understand how I’m seeing no improvements. Even getting the same score in the Fire strike benchmark. Is the information in the video I’ve linked incorrect?

Vtec 9000

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
I game at 1440p, According to this test the ram looks fine, its the rest that doesnt!

UserBenchmarks:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K - 107.5%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 - 51.8%
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB - 725%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB - 38.7%
HDD: Toshiba P300 1TB - 25.3%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB - 100.9%
MBD: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I think you have to run it as an administrator to get the storage portion to run properly, not a big deal.

Do you not have a discrete graphics card?

It's also reporting above average background CPU usage, might want to take a look at what you have running in the background. Unless you were using the PC for other things (e.g. web browsing) while the benchmark was running, in which case that would probably explain it.

TRENDING THREADS