Dual Memory Question

Mindkiller2

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014
Hey Everyone! Quick noob question. I have 16GB of ram installed AND, I think I know it's in Dual Channel as CPU-Z says Dual in the Memory Tab. The MOBO (obviously) and W8.1 Pro both show 16GB. So, shouldn't windows show the increase of ram when your ram is dual channel? Again, I'm a noob with it and I tried to look up the answer but I found nothing on this subject.

Specs:
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
CPU: i7-2600k (not overclocked)
Cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 4x4 1600 CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B
PSU: Antec 1200w High Current Pro
GPU: 2x Radeon HD 6950
SDD: 128GB Samsung (OS only)
HDD: 1TB Western Digital (Games, programs, ect)
Case: NZXT Phantom Phan-002OR

Solution
Dual channel does not double your ram if that is what you are implying... If you install 16 gb of ram you will get 16 gb of ram. It can't work magic.

If you install ram in all 4 slots it will be in dual channel automatically. you don't have to do anything.

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
Dual channel does not double your ram if that is what you are implying... If you install 16 gb of ram you will get 16 gb of ram. It can't work magic.

If you install ram in all 4 slots it will be in dual channel automatically. you don't have to do anything.

Solution

Mindkiller2

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014
Well then, I have mislead myself into believing that it did for some weird reason. As I understood it, with dual channel, you have two open lanes of 16GB (or whatever amount of ram) that work at different rates, say 1600 and 1333 for example, thus doubling the amount of ram and therefore the OS should read it as such. Thank you so much for clearing it up for me! :)