[SOLVED] Dual-monitor 144hz/60hz setup issue

D

Deleted member 2720853

Operating System: Windows 10 LTSC 2019 64-bit, build 17763.529

Specs: HP Pavilion Power 580-199ng, i7-8700, GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5, 16 GB DDR4 RAM, 300W PSU, 1080p144 main monitor & 1080p60 secondary monitor. Latest NVIDIA Driver, 430.86.

I have recently bought a 144hz monitor and set my old monitor as my secondary to have more space to work. My main monitor is connected through a DVI-D Dual Link cable and my secondary is connected through a HDMI cable to my GPU. However, I noticed an issue.

Whenever I have anything GPU-demanding (or hardware accelerated in general) such as watching a YouTube video, having OBS open on my secondary monitor or just Discord open, my main monitor gets locked to 60hz. If I stop the video/close Discord/basically stop any GPU-demanding program on my second monitor, my main monitor goes back up to its' advertised Hz.

I have looked up this issue for quite some time and apparently it is a common issue in Windows 10 due to the way the Desktop Window Manager behaves. However, I don't want to downgrade to Windows 7 and have to re-install and re-configure everything just because of this.

Any way to fix this? I tried setting my main monitor to 120hz, but that only fixes the stutters and not the Hz locking up on my main. I tried disabling transparency, I tried adjusting GPU scaling, I tried setting prerendered frames to 1 in the NVIDIA Control panel, heck, I even tried changing up cables.

Am I screwed and have to go back to Windows 7 or is there a solution to this god-forsaken frustrating issue?

Solution
There's no other way to fix it that I am aware of unless you can make your own drivers which won't happen unless you're a wizard. WIndows 7 may not fix it. I've seen the same issue there and it's driver related. This issue has been around for years and years and have never seen a software fix.
D

Deleted member 2720853

Connect the secondary to the mobo to use the igpu. You may need to enable multi monitor in bios or see if there is another option to enable the igpu. Don't forget to install the igpu driver.

Well that's another problem since my mobo doesn't support activating the iGPU while I have a dedicated GPU active...

There's no other way to fix it that I am aware of unless you can make your own drivers which won't happen unless you're a wizard. WIndows 7 may not fix it. I've seen the same issue there and it's driver related. This issue has been around for years and years and have never seen a software fix.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2720853

Okay then. I swapped out my secondary with my other monitor that has FreeSync and 75hz and it seems to be better now anyway.