Dual-Monitor: 2nd Monitor does not stay on

chasegt500

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
Hey everyone! As the title says, I'm running dual-monitor on my machine. I can get the 2nd monitor to turn on and work properly, but whenever my computer goes to sleep and I wake it back up, the 2nd monitor will not be recognized. Is this normal?

For my hardware, I am running an i5 4690K CPU and a GTX970 GPU on an ASUS Z97-K motherboard. The first monitor is connected through a VGA cord and the second monitor through a HDMI cord. My primary monitor only has an AVI and VGA port. The second monitor used to be a T.V and does not have a VGA port. It has HDMI, AVI, and the classical Red, Yellow, White ports (don't know the name).

For my software, I'm running on Windows 8.1 (64-bit). Both my motherboard and GPU have been updated to the most recent drivers.

I don't think its good for my computer having to constantly restart it and re-plugging my 2nd monitor over and over again. Unless this is normal, please tell me what I need to do.

Solution
This to me does not sound normal. I do not like using sleep on my computers. When I use to own Vista and it went to sleep I literally could not get the damn thing up and running again I restarted it. I don't think that is really your problem. Do you have any type of attachments to the ends of your chords? I say this because I had a problem with dual monitors on my other computer and found out if you have to many it creates a super weak signal and will not display. I had a standard DVI port and 2 display ports. I currently at the time did not have a DVI or display port chord so I ran a VGA-DVI adaptor the the DVI port and on the display port I had 2 attachments a from like a VGA-DVI-Display port. It did not work with all 3 of those so I...

Rsdevour

Distinguished
May 30, 2012
This to me does not sound normal. I do not like using sleep on my computers. When I use to own Vista and it went to sleep I literally could not get the damn thing up and running again I restarted it. I don't think that is really your problem. Do you have any type of attachments to the ends of your chords? I say this because I had a problem with dual monitors on my other computer and found out if you have to many it creates a super weak signal and will not display. I had a standard DVI port and 2 display ports. I currently at the time did not have a DVI or display port chord so I ran a VGA-DVI adaptor the the DVI port and on the display port I had 2 attachments a from like a VGA-DVI-Display port. It did not work with all 3 of those so I eventually just baught a DVI to display port cutting out the VGA and everything worked for me. Maybe check your setup on that end. If not might be a possible graphics card error not giving any priority to your other monitor?

Good Luck!

Solution