Question Dual monitor connected to notebook, but second screen is black

Mohamed_HARDWARE

Commendable
Mar 1, 2019
Haai everyone,

I have two monitors and both of them works fine(i tried individual).
Monitor 1: Specs
Monitor 2: Specs
They have both VGA input and my noteook have HDMI and VGA input.
One is connected with VGA and the other one is connected from VGA to HDMI through a converter.

The problem is that the second screen shows a black screen. I can switch between those 2 screens but it doesn't show both of them.
In the display settings I see 3 screens where the third one is gray, look image.
Even the device manager shows 3 screens, look image.

My notebook has 2 GPU
  1. Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
  2. NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Lenovo IdeaPad Z580

I read on the internet that I should enable to use both GPU in BIOS. But I don't have that option. Not even advanced option.
What can i do to fix this?

Last edited:
Whats the model number and specs
It's in the original post.

Haai everyone,

One is connected with VGA and the other one is connected from VGA to HDMI through a converter.

The problem is that the second screen shows a black screen. I can switch between those 2 screens but it doesn't show both of them.
In the display settings I see 3 screens where the third one is gray, look image.

My notebook has 2 GPU
Lenovo IdeaPad Z580

I read on the internet that I should enable to use both GPU in BIOS. But I don't have that option. Not even advanced option.
Hi Mohamed. :) Are you using a passive or active adapter for the VGA -> HDMI converter? (If passive, there's a good chance you need an "active" adapter.)

Mohamed_HARDWARE

Commendable
Mar 1, 2019
Whats the model number and specs

Take this for specs.

It's in the original post.

Hi Mohamed. :) Are you using a passive or active adapter for the VGA -> HDMI converter? (If passive, there's a good chance you need an "active" adapter.)

VGA to HDMI there isn't passive. They all are active and if the product owner says it's passive than it's fake. That's what i read from the internet. But it doesn't matter because when I connect one monitor from VGA to HDMI I see display. But when i connect both monitors to laptop I get the option to select between which must show display.
But I want both monitors showing display.

SHaines

Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 1, 2019
Haai everyone,

My notebook has 2 GPU
Lenovo IdeaPad Z580

Hey there,

I'm curious if the laptop screen is staying active when the two external monitors are hooked up, or if it goes black.

when I connect one monitor from VGA to HDMI I see display. But when i connect both monitors to laptop I get the option to select between which must show display.
I think I see what's going on. As far as I can tell, your model supports a maximum of two displays: One internal (built-in screen), and one external. Not a lot of definitive info on it, but there is this: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Three-monitors-on-my-Z580/td-p/1148137

Your hardware is technically capable of driving multiple external displays, however it seems Lenovo did not design the laptop to do so. You'll have to get an external HDMI repeater/amplifier/splitter to run your external monitors simultaneously.