Dual monitor dg35ec

jgoge123

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Hello, guys
I have a PC with a MB Intel DG35EC, it has one port VGA and one DVI-D
I have my principal monitor in the VGA Port, and I want to conect a Projector in the other port.
I got a DVI-VGA adapter, and conected the Projector in the other port (with the adapter)

I have WinXP and it doesn't recognized the second monitor.

I try to go to "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver" by Ctrl+Alt+F12, but there's a message telling me that there's no a second monitor connected.

Any ide?

Solution

That is a DVI-D port and it can't be used to pass a signal to a VGA adapter or VGA only device. You can connect to a DVI capable monitor or projector. Just saw the specs for your mobo.

You can get around this by installing a stand-alone discrete GPU and not use the on-board video. The bottom line is that you can't do what you want with the components you have. Sorry.

jgoge123

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
@COLGeek: Yes, right-click on desktop - Properties - settings, i can see the two monitors.
When i select 'Extend my windows desktop..." then Apply, and nothing change :(

I tried to switch (projector on VGA port, and my monitor on DVI port with the adapter) and just the VGA Port works

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Good (on the Windows part). BTW, not all DVI to VGA adapters are the same. Where did you get the adapter you are using? Did it come with the computer or with the projector or with something else? Last, have you tried switching the cable positions of the monitor (with adapter, if needed) and the projector?

jgoge123

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
I got the adapter on eBay. I realized that there are many types of DVI. (Actually, this is the second adapter that i get, the first one was the incorrect :p)
Well, i also tried to switch the cables, but It doesn't work.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Is your primary monitor a CRT or LCD type? If LCD, does it support DVI? If so, you could connect the monitor to your PC via DVI to DVI and the projector VGA to VGA.

Given that the DVI adapter won't work with the monitor, I would suspect you have the wrong adapter (or it is defective) for your Intel based GPU.

jgoge123

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010

My primary monitor is an LCD, and doesn't support DVI

Ok, maybe the adapter is not working. Fail

COLGeek

Cybernaut

If the projector will work as your primary display, connected via the VGA cable directly to the projector, then I think you do, indeed, have a faulty adapter (or simply the wrong one for your video adapter).

COLGeek

Cybernaut

That is a DVI-D port and it can't be used to pass a signal to a VGA adapter or VGA only device. You can connect to a DVI capable monitor or projector. Just saw the specs for your mobo.

You can get around this by installing a stand-alone discrete GPU and not use the on-board video. The bottom line is that you can't do what you want with the components you have. Sorry.

Solution