czechplease

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I'm new to this dual monitor setup, so I was wondering if I could get some help. I'm looking to have two separate desktops for my computer, which sounds like it defeats the purpose of having two monitors. I'd like to be able play games on one monitor (Oblivion is my current favorite), as well as chat online and browse web pages. This isn't too difficult, except for a few problems:
1) When I play Oblivion, because I don't play at the native resolution, it reduces the size of the other screen.
2) When I alt-tab from Oblivion, it minimizes it, defeating the purpose.

My goal is to be able to play Oblivion, and then alt-tab and browse or chat as desired. I can somewhat work around the resolution thing, but I don't really want to do that. I've played with UltraMon a bit, and it helps, but I guess I'm really looking for something that will lock the mouse within one screen until i press some keys to switch to the other monitor. If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
What you want is very easy to do. Just get a dualhead video card so you can attach 2 monitors, then go into Display and activate the second monitor in Extended Desktop. Size your game as you like in one monitor, size the other stuff in the other monitor... or full screen to fill the monitor, for each.

czechplease

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I'm not trying to be rude, but it's not that easy. I don't want my mouse wandering onto the other screen when it's setup that way. Also, as I stated, when I'm not playing at the native resolution, it "pushes" the second display so I can't see everything that was there. I'm looking for software that will treat each monitor as it's own desktop, similar to what UltraMon does, but with a bit more.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
I'm not trying to be rude, but it's not that easy. I don't want my mouse wandering onto the other screen when it's setup that way. Also, as I stated, when I'm not playing at the native resolution, it "pushes" the second display so I can't see everything that was there. I'm looking for software that will treat each monitor as it's own desktop, similar to what UltraMon does, but with a bit more.

The mouse won't "wander" to the other screen... it will only go there if you move it to there.

I don't believe you can display more than one desktop at a time.... If I remember correctly, UltrMon won't let you do that either. (You can have more than one desktop "loaded and running in the background", but can't display more than one at a time.) Is that right?

If I'm understanding you correctly....
1. You've got one monitor now
2. The screen is divided into 2 windows... one for your game, the other for your "other"
3. When you change the game's resolution, it "pushes" (?) the "other"... that is, changes its resolution too?

Well, of course it does. If the game's resolution is changed, it changes the resolution of the monitor and everything on it.

By having 2 monitors, each will have its own resolution. Changing the resolution on one will not affect the other. (Unless you change the game's resolution and are playing it across both montors.)

Dual monitors with extended desktop sounds like THE solution. (If you're getting dual monitors anyway, why don't you get them and try this... then work from there... I currently have a 4-monitor rig and have for years, so I know fairly well how it works.)

czechplease

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Ok, so let's start over. Currently, I do have both monitors setup on my computer. They're both set at 1600x1200 resolution. The monitor on the left is my primary, and the one on the right is my secondary.

You are correct, the mouse doesn't wander, I do move it there. That's one of the problems (and it may be something I just have to get used to). I'd like the mouse locked to the screen I am currently working on unless I use a keyboard shortcut to move it to the other screen. Basically I want it working similar to a KVM switch, which isn't how most people use dual monitors.

As for the gaming, you are pretty much correct: I do not want to play it across multiple screens because Oblivion strains enough already at 1024x768 (which is not the native resolution), and then adjusts the second display by moving my windows halfway across the screen. (Does that make sense?)

I played with UltraMon a bit more and found hotkeys to lock the mouse and move it to the next screen, but it doesn't work while in the game. That's where KVM-like properties would be nice. Thanks for your help.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
"... I'd like the mouse locked to the screen I am currently working on unless I use a keyboard shortcut to move it to the other screen. Basically I want it working similar to a KVM switch, which isn't how most people use dual monitors.

As for the gaming, you are pretty much correct: I do not want to play it across multiple screens because Oblivion strains enough already at 1024x768 (which is not the native resolution), and then adjusts the second display by moving my windows halfway across the screen. (Does that make sense?) ..."

I don't think you can "lock the mouse to one screen" with extended desktop... it's just one bigger desktop, spread across 2 (or more) screens. The KVM switch presents as "2 each, single monitor setups"... that's different from Extended Desktop.

I can't figure out why switching the resolution on one monitor should impact the second, though.....

The_Hanz

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
I used to play Eve-Online with 2 monitors.

In order to keep the application up and switch to the other screen just run it in windowed mode and then move the app so you can't see the lines. You can now jump between monitors without a problem. Worked like a charm for me

prokill121

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Well what i want is vary similar if not the same. When i run warcraft its resolution is lower than the desktop resolution because thats its max supported resolution. When i run warctaft it sets the resolution to that setting, what i want to do is lock the resolution setting of the other monitor so it wont adjust to the resolution the game is running. when i minimize the game the resolution snaps back in both monitors, so if i say have my AIM buddy list on the far left of my screen and i were to open warcraft it would jump to the other monitor because the resolution was edited. I want to lock the resolution on each monitor so that the resolution of one monitor wont effect the other.