Question Dual Monitor Help

Feb 19, 2019
Hi everyone, thanks in advance to anyone reading this and willing to help out. I'm having trouble setting up my dual monitors and I'd appreciate any insight because I'm not sure where to go from here.

I'm trying to setup a 144hz monitor (main) and a 60hz monitor (second). I'd like my main monitor to use DVI and my second to use HDMI. When I plug in the main monitor through DVI into my GPU and my secondary with HDMI also into GPU, the PC turns on but the monitors aren't detected so I'm looking at two black screens. When I do main monitor DVI to GPU and secondary monitor HDMI into the motherboard, the same thing happens.

Plugging in a single monitor through HDMI into the motherboard also gives me a black screen. A single monitor through DVI into either the GPU or motherboard also doesn't work.

The only instances that I see a screen come on is: single monitor through HDMI into GPU ONLY, both monitors each connected to the GPU and motherboard (both monitors on).

It may be worth noting that when I say it turns on but the monitors aren't detected, the computer starts up normally except for a red light on the motherboard and no power going to M+KB (no lights).

I've tested my monitors with DVI with other PC's which works. At this point I'm convinced that the problem is with my PC but I'm not sure if it's the GPU, motherboard etc.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Specs:
z97-A Asus motherboard
Nvidia GTX 960
Benq XL2411Z (Main monitor)
Benq RL2455HM (Second)

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
Does your GPU have Display Ports that you could try? If you do, I would try plugging it in through the display port rather than using the DVI. If that doesn't work, another suggestion could be to plug your second monitor (60Hz) to your Mobo with the integrated graphics instead of your actual GPU. As far as I know, your mother board does have on-board Intel Video Chipset so if you plug you 60Hz monitor into the rear port from your Mobo. This should allow you to use the second monitor. If that doesn't seem to fix the issue, it could be something to do with your GPU not allowing to use to different refresh rate monitors. Newer GPU dont usually have a problem with this, but I have read that older model GPU's can cause issues when it comes to running two different refresh rate monitors. Also note that if you do get them both to work while plugged into your GPU, you may have an issue with your 144Hz running at 144Hz because your GPU might not be able to distinguish the different refresh rate. My last suggestion is to re-install your video drivers. Hopefully something I said was helpful, good luck.