Dual Monitor Non-Compatibility?

That_Guy_

Reputable
Jul 27, 2014
Hi, I'm considering buying another monitor for my setup, and my current monitor uses a DVI-D dual link cable. My graphics card is a MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G, and according to the specs, it has 1 DVI-D dual link port; however, it has a DVI-I dual link port as well. If I was to buy another monitor and use a DVI-I cable for that, since the DVI-D port on the GPU is already being used, would there be any issues with using a DVI-D and a DVI-I for dual monitors? I am using a Dell LCD monitor with 1080p resolution and here are my specs:

- Intel I5 4690 @ 3.5GHz w/ turboboost activated, so it's almost always at a 3.9 GHz clock rate then (CPU)
- GSkill Ripjaws 8GB RAM @ 1600 mHz (RAM)
- Corsair SPEC 02 (Case)
- MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G (GPU)
- Gigabyte Z97 HD3 (ATX Mobo)
- EVGA Supernova 650 G1 (PSU)

If there are any issues that I should anticipate before I purchase anything, please let me know.
Thank you.

P.S: If it helps, this is a monitor that I was considering. Would it work?
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-acer-24-widescreen-led-monitor-with-5ms-response-time-k242hlbd-black-k242hlbd/10283546.aspx?path=1d8afe6e59e3d180134d212773bc2346en02

Solution
You can use any port on your gpu. You need a dvi-d cable since the monitor is dvi-d so won't fit. Dvi-i works with all dvi types so a dvi-d cable will work perfectly fine. Even if the monitor had a dvi-i port, it would default to digital and you'd just have useless extra unused pins anyways.
You can use any port on your gpu. You need a dvi-d cable since the monitor is dvi-d so won't fit. Dvi-i works with all dvi types so a dvi-d cable will work perfectly fine. Even if the monitor had a dvi-i port, it would default to digital and you'd just have useless extra unused pins anyways.

Solution