Dual Monitor problem, Flickering and black screening

hunteradem

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
So ordered another ASUS VE247H 24 inch Monitor for dual monitor setup, around a month ago. Ever since setting it up both monitors, my old monitor (call it monitor A) has been flashing on and off every 5 - 10 mins, like its changing resolution (but not changing value) and going black then coming back after a couple of seconds.

This problem has been happening every day, but recently the same monitor has been flickering and doing the flashing black thing more often, upto every few seconds. Now I assumed that my older monitor which is also an ASUS VE247H was faulty, BUT when i disable the new monitor the old one works perfectly without any of the problems.

This led me to believe it was a driver problem so I have made sure my GIGABYTE AMD R9 270X GPU drivers were upto date. Also have got my motherboard upto date (Asus M5A78L-M/USB3), But the problem still persisted.

My new monitor is connected via HDMI and my old monitor is connected via DVI, and I assume this shouldn't be the problem.

Looking forward to any replies
thank you

Specs -

AMD FX6300 Black Edition 6 Core CPU

Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard

GIGABYTE R9 270X 2GB GPU

2x WD 1TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive

8GB Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3 1600MHz

Corsair CP-9020076-UK Builder Series 550W PSU

Xivilain

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
Have you tried swapping their inputs? Monitor A with DVI and Monitor B with HDMI.
Have you tried another HDMI cable? Some can be faulty.
Are the cables securely plugged in? Nothing is weighing them down, to make them loose?

Check for driver updates for your AMD cards. Check for Windows (assuming you're using Windows) updates.

Check the Catalyst Control Center for display settings and management. You might find a few things in there to help diagnose.