Question Dual-Monitor, same size and resolution but the mouse gets stuck at the very top and cannot pass to the other screen?

Jun 18, 2019
Hey Tomshardware Forum!

I recently switched to Windows 10 using my Dual-Monitors i used with my Win7 setup. What i found out was that for some reason there is a 3px wall at the very middle top part which my mouse cant get to the other side to.

The 2 monitors are the same size, same resolution, they are lined up neatly in the Screen Resolution Window but the wall is still there.

i have tried switch them from left to right, right to left, top to bottom, bottom to top. There always seems to me a wall there at some point where the 2 screens meet.

Any thought on what i could do? rearranging them did nothing (like putting them 3px higher ) since that would just widen the wall.

Ralston18

Titan
Are you certain that your Windows 10 system is configured for Extended mode?

Use "WIN" + "P" to present the available display options:

PC screen only

Duplicate

Extend

Second screen only

For the mouse to be able to "cross screens to the other side" you should have Windows 10 configured for "Extend".

Jun 18, 2019
Are you certain that your Windows 10 system is configured for Extended mode?

Use "WIN" + "P" to present the available display options:

PC screen only

Duplicate

Extend

Second screen only

For the mouse to be able to "cross screens to the other side" you should have Windows 10 configured for "Extend".

Yes its on Extend. I can use both monitors just fine, but there is just a random 3px wall in the middle

Ralston18

Titan
[For the record: Could not get the video to play.....]

I have had no problems with Windows 10 in Extend(ed) mode.

Does the problem occur with any specific application/game?

Are you sure that the GPU drivers are up to date?

Likewise for any monitor drivers?

Some monitors do have drivers which may or may not be necessary.

Use Device Manager to check if any specific monitor drivers are installed on your computer.

Jun 18, 2019

Use Device Manager to check if any specific monitor drivers are installed on your computer.

No the problem is universal, in the video you see me just casually in the move the mouse back and forth between the 2 monitors and getting stuck.

GPU drivers are all up to date.

Monitor drivers i havent checked, will check after work. thank you for the tip!

Ralston18

Titan
Here is a link with some other suggestions:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/common-multi-monitor-problems-and-how-to-fix-them/

Note the section "Games keep minimizing" - certainly not the problem per se but you may discover some other related setting that is blocking the mouse movement.

If the above (or similar links) do not work then update your post to include full system hardware specs:

Be sure to include GPU information, connectivity being used (DVI, HDMI...) plus make and model monitors.

May narrow down to some actual unfixable "bug". However at this time I doubt that that is the case.

Hopefully someone will follow through the thread and note something I missed or add in further suggestions.

Jun 18, 2019
Its a shame you cant see my video. Want me to upload it to somewhere else? Nothing in that link really helps, i tried looking up for people with similar problems but can't really find anything. I guess im searching wrong?

Monitors:
BenQ GW2780, 60 Hz, 27', HDMI
Acer XB270H, 144 Hz, 27', Displayport

CPU: AMD Ryzen7 2700X
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 TI
Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-PRO

All drivers up to date, both monitors hooked up to the GPU, it is on extend.

I have also tried with different sizes/Hertz, the wall is still there.

LB23

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2013
Its called "sticky corners". Windows 8 had it as a feature and you could do a reg edit to disable it. With windows 10 you cant. There is multiple MS help treads on this that are over 15 pages long with no help from MS. Best you can do is try one of the few mods people made to get past it but most antivirus programs dont like them so its a hassle I dont feel like dealing with. I just got used to it over time and know to swing my mouse down or up when moving it to the next monitor.

The closest thing to a fix MS will tell you is to disable snap but that wont fix it.

If you have windows 10 and more than one monitor you have this issue. Only way around it is 3rd party software to fix it.

Take your mouse and put it at the very top of you screen then while at the top move to the next screen. If you dont move down at least 2 pixels it will stop at the corner and not move to the second screen. Same with the bottom.

Jun 18, 2019
So knowing the name of the Issue i was able to find this: http://www.jawfin.net/?page_id=143

It works fine and i can move mouse between monitors without problems. I know the feature was there so you dont miss the X to close a window (when its maximized), but i don't really need it and its annoying!

I simply made the exe to start with windows, so problem is somewhat solved.

Thanks everyone for answering!