[SOLVED] Dual Monitor Set-up / Single Monitor Freezing

Jun 30, 2021
I am running my work laptop (Dell Latitude 5590) with 2 additional monitors (3 screens total). The two monitors are connected docking station (1 with HDMI, 1 with DP) that the laptop is also connected to. Occasionally, and more frequently than ever before lately, the monitor that is connected via DP will freeze. All processes remain running, and I can use keyboard shortcuts to move windows that were on the DP monitor over to the laptop or HDMI monitor. A restart always fixes the problem, but it can be quite annoying depending on what I am working on during the day. Any ideas what could be causing this? There doesn't seam to be a single trigger that causes it to happen, though it does appear to happen more frequently when the laptop is under more load.

Solution
Power down, unplug.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect all plugs and ports for signs of damage or debris.

Look for signs of metal to metal contact that might lead to a short. Perhaps okay until something warms up, expands, and shorts the connection.

If nothing noted, plug all in again and while the laptop is running carefully wiggle and twist connecting cables from plug to plug. All along the cable length.

See if you can initiate a freeze by doing so.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Reliability History uses a timeline format that may help narrow down when the problem began and/or started intensifying (more errors).

Either one or both may be capturing some error code or warning or even an informational event when the DP connected monitor freezes.

Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager to observe system performance. Use both but only one at time.

Keep an eye on what system resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource. You may note some change or pattern that leads up to the DP monitor freezing.

Jun 30, 2021
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Reliability History uses a timeline format that may help narrow down when the problem began and/or started intensifying (more errors).

Either one or both may be capturing some error code or warning or even an informational event when the DP connected monitor freezes.

Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager to observe system performance. Use both but only one at time.

Keep an eye on what system resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource. You may note some change or pattern that leads up to the DP monitor freezing.

So I have two recent problem events in the Reliability History.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 1d4
Parameter 1: 0
Parameter 2: 5
Parameter 3: ffff808a47b5f840
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_19041
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.19041.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

and

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 144
Parameter 1: 3003
Parameter 2: ffff9288a57375b0
Parameter 3: 40010000
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_19041
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.19041.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Quick Google search says that at least one of these is pointing to USB-C which is how my dock is connected so I will imagine the dock is the root of the problem.

Ralston18

Titan
Power down, unplug.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect all plugs and ports for signs of damage or debris.

Look for signs of metal to metal contact that might lead to a short. Perhaps okay until something warms up, expands, and shorts the connection.

If nothing noted, plug all in again and while the laptop is running carefully wiggle and twist connecting cables from plug to plug. All along the cable length.

See if you can initiate a freeze by doing so.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS