Dual Monitor Setup 60hz and 144hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre12345

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
Hello, this is my first post and I am relatively new to all of this. I have recently bought a desktop and I was wondering If it would be possible to have a dual monitor set up (one monitor being 60hz and the other one being 144hz) with a single GeForce GTX 780 Ti. Would the 144hz monitor be able to hold a 144 refresh rate and would there be any problems with this set up?
Thanks,

sorta... the problem you'll have is the fps will be mirrored across the monitors, so if you're pulling down 90fps, you'll see 90 on the 144hz monitor and you'll see 60 on the 60hz monitor... plus a lot of screen tearing due to the high fps and low refresh rate.

To make the picture look better on the 60hz monitor you'll need to use vsync which will then proceed to cap the fps on the 144hz montor at 60fps too

mre12345

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014

I only want to game on the 144hz one. I will only want to use the 60hz one for browsing. I just don't want to screw anything up and pay money for something that doesn't work.

Rickdiculouss

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014
I hate to bump a dead thread, but out of curiosity, mre12345, what two monitors do you have?
I'm shopping for an identical setup to yours (One 144hz and 60hz) for the exact reasons you listed above. I'm just curious if your monitors are physically identical, or you're using two mismatched monitors. Because if they're physically the same, I would be very interested in knowing what models they are as I'm way too OCD to have mismatched monitors.

bionicgecko

Honorable
Oct 8, 2017
Sorry for reviving this thread from the dead, but I did spend a fair amount of time finding physically similar monitors with 60 Hz and 144Hz refresh rates, and as I did not find much concrete info in the internet, I thought maybe someone else can benefit from my research.

I settled for the following monitor combo: AOC G2460PG (144 Hz G-Sync) and AOC E2460PDA (60 Hz). Both monitors have basically identical frames with the same panel size, same faux-metal plastic finish, same design for the back and the stand. The G2460PG is slightly thicker, but this does not show from the front. The main difference is the green line below the panel on the G2450PG, and the G-Sync branding both on the front and the back. But otherwise the monitors are basically identical.

It is worth noting that the color calibration is not the same on both monitors, so a fair amount of fiddling is necessary in order to have a similar tint on both monitors. I did not manage to get both monitors to have an identical color response, but it is close enough for my needs and I don't notice the difference unless I actively look for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.