Dual Monitor Setup Help?

markdstouffer

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
Hi. I have two monitors, both are plugged in correctly, and only one of them are working. I believe that only one of the two places to plug in the monitors are working. I've tried plugging in my ViewSonic into plug #1, and it works. My DELL monitor also works in plug #1. Nothing works in plug #2. Is my computer defective, or is it supposed to do this?

Specs:
CybertronPC Borg-Q GM4213A Desktop
Manufacturer: Cybertron PC
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4130 Quad-Core Processor 3.80 GHz
Installed memory (RAM) : 8.00 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

A couple of questions
1) What operating system are you running? Yes, it's a 64-bit OS, but there are lots of those.
2) With two monitors attached, you will probably have to change the desktop settings to make anything display on the second one. Have you tried this?

markdstouffer

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

I'm running Windows 8.1, if that's what you mean. And yes, I have tried changing the display settings, but there is only one monitor detected.

markdstouffer

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

Yeah, and no i'm not connecting the the motherboard

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
do you use the Windows own display settings, or the NVidia control panel? if your machine is fairly new, call up the store for tech support. the NVidia drivers for that card have been out for years, so there's no real need to make sure it's all up to date.

markdstouffer

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

I use the Windows display settings, and the computer is around 4 months old

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
assuming you're using good cables, like one known good VGA and one known good DVI, then I'd give the store a shout. they should have a 1-year warranty, right? no chance you're trying to use a DVI-to-VGA or VGA-to-DVI converter somewhere? all plain straight-through cables?