[SOLVED] Dual Monitor setup is having some issues with screen dimming and black screens

Jul 27, 2020
I'm currently running an ASUS PG279Q along with an ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A for a dual monitor setup. I've had the PG279Q monitor for about two years now, and the VG27 monitor since Christmas. Both have run flawlessly without issue, until now.

My PG279Q monitor now seems to automatically dim when watching any kind of full screen video no matter the platform. If I exit out of fullscreen, the dimming immediately stops. If I drag the video over to my other monitor, the issue disappears. If I move my mouse around the edges of the video, it seems to light up for a second before dimming again.

When restarting my computer, my VG27 monitor seems to just stay black, and will sometimes flicker grey for a second before remaining black. If I turn it off and back on again, it displays a picture normally and remains that way until I restart again.

When playing Modern Warfare on my VG27 monitor (haven't observed this effect on any other game) it will sometimes flicker black like every 15 seconds. If I switch Modern Warfare over to my PG279Q monitor, the issue immediately stops and no black flickering occurs. This issue only occurs sometimes, other times I get no flickering at all.

I'm really at a loss here as to what could be causing these issues. I've already tried reinstalling my current GPU drivers and have taken the liberty to disable things like Windows Game Bar and Night Light Mode. I was using an autoruns program recently and disabling some stuff for startup, but I doubt this is causing these issues.

Specs:
i7-8700k
EVGA Geforce GTX 1080Ti SC2
16 GB G Skill Trident 3200 MHz RGB RAM
Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD (OS is installed on this)
Seagate 2TB 7200 HDD
Seasonic 850W Gold PSU

Last edited:
Solution
I agree that HDR looks awesome. I watch Formula 1 in HDR for that reason. For HDR to work properly both monitors need to be HDR capable. I believe that only one of your monitors is HDR capable. If you want to play a game in HDR, then turn off the monitor which isn't HDR capable and just use the other for the game.

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
I agree that HDR looks awesome. I watch Formula 1 in HDR for that reason. For HDR to work properly both monitors need to be HDR capable. I believe that only one of your monitors is HDR capable. If you want to play a game in HDR, then turn off the monitor which isn't HDR capable and just use the other for the game.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS