Question Dual Monitor Setup Issue

Jan 27, 2020
Hello,

After a few hours of reading and trial and error to what I thought would be a simple solution for an easy question, I have decided I still want to figure my problem out, but I cannot without help.

I have two identical monitors that I am plugging into my computer. When I first plugged in the first monitor, I tried using display port. DP was not being recognized and so I plugged in the hdmi cord, and switched the monitor back to DP.

When I plugged in my second monitor, the same issue arose. I had to again use hdmi. Except this time, instead of being able to use the monitor to switch to DP, it kept switching back to hdmi on its own.

I've tried a variety of different things to no avail.

I'm not familiar with contemporary computers but I do have some minor savvy from years past. I am thinking this is a problem heard of before, if not frequently, with a simple solution.

My one sentence question, then, with hopes for a concise and enumerated answer, is:

How do I get my second monitor to change back to DP input so that both monitors are DP, and neither HDMI?

Simply, whenever I use the monitor menu to switch the second monitor to DP, it goes black, and comes back reading HDMI.

Am I clearly describing this very simple issue?

Thank you in advance. Looking forward to figuring this out, and the reason why I currently cannot.

Jan 27, 2020
Most of the information I see online is way too complex, unnecessary, and not relevant, asking for uninstalls of drivers and things of that nature. I have spent hours filtering through an ambush of too much information, and not enough specific information to the simple question.

I don't think it is necessary to know my GPU or monitor. I believe there should be a simple solution, maybe in a setting, that I just am not aware of.

Just need some help. I think I could understand an explanation, but I can't figure it out alone.

Jan 27, 2020
Okay.

I have a Msi Optix Mag271C curved LED gaming monitor

GPU is Radeon RX580

Thank you for such a timely response, even though it didn't include any possibilities

Jan 27, 2020
One of my concerns was that this GPU may possibly only support different outputs, but I did severely doubt that

There's gotta be an easy way to get them both to read DP

Jan 27, 2020
I have been challenged by superiors that in the real world and the professional world especially you will be expected to research your own problems, and filter through information, including basic problems such as configuring your own monitor.

Sounds like the type of answer someone gives when they don't want to help or actually don't know what to do, but want to save face and appear an expert anyway.

Therefore, here I am, researching my own problems, something as "basic as configuring your own computer monitor" but from the looks of things, it doesn't seem the answer is going to be so "basic" after all

Jan 27, 2020
My challenge to you actual experts, then....since I have been challenged by some wannabe who didn't want to admit he couldn't help.....is to provide me the basic answer to this apparently "basic" problem I can't figure out - and that the people I know with the alleged skillsets to, apparently, "can't be bothered with" helping me solve.

Jan 27, 2020
If the problem is such a basic one that I should apparently be embarrassed not to be able to solve, then I am patiently awaiting a very simple explanation from an actual expert who is willing to spare me the two minutes it takes to explain "basic" resolutions

Jan 27, 2020
I am hoping to learn an understanding of this situation, take advantage of networking, a key component of research, since my own baseless self teachings are to no avail, and ultimately report back to the people who refused to help me with a clearly demonstrated understanding of the concepts at hand

I'm no professional....just don't like my intelligence insulted, which must have been the way whoever I asked for help felt when I asked....judging by their refusal to assist...

Just a little frustrated that I've spent the last few hours looking into this, when it really could be such a basic fix....I just really don't have a computer background

Try this:
Power off PC.
Power off both monitors and disconnect the power cord...press the power button on both monitor to discharge capacitors.
Power on both monitors, then power on the PC.
Make sure monitors input is set to DP.
Check that Windows display setting shows both displays before using AMD Radeon App.

Reactions: andrewbr
So we are trouble shooting now, there isn't a basic textbook answer.

I'm trying now.
I am trying to figure out if a cable or a port is not working.
You're right, it supposed to work as easy as connecting the DP cables and powering on.
Sometimes there could be a malfunctioning component or the handshake between devices is not working properly or maybe a bug on drivers are not allowing the devices to communicate.

Jan 27, 2020
Alright, I've got an update......

Sounds silly as hell. I unplugged everything and tried to set up one monitor....and I did notice, one of the DP ports is not working.

My monitor IS working when I plug it into one port. Motherboard maybe.

My monitor is NOT working when I use the Ryzen plugin. I think that is what it is.

Thank you

Jan 27, 2020
When I plug the DP into the "broken" port, the monitor does seem to recognize it, it brightens briefly, but then the power button turns from white to orange and the screen black.

When I plug the DP into the "broken" port, the monitor does seem to recognize it, it brightens briefly, but then the power button turns from white to orange and the screen black.
It could be the cable, so switch the cables around and disconnect the HDMI cable.
Do you have a Ryzen CPU or APU, which model?
If you have a Ryzen CPU, connecting a display cable to the motherboard will not work.