Question Dual Monitor setup options with two computers ?

Aug 25, 2023
I am trying to setup some additional options on my dual monitor dual PC system.

Currently PC1 = Win 10; PC2 = Win 7 (PC2 may be upgraded to W10)
Both MON1 and MON2 are Asus VG278QR
KVM switch for Mon1 in adapted VGA mode so I have one switch to change mon1 and mouse / kb from pc1 to pc2
V switch for Mon2 DVI mode so I have a 2nd switch to change mon2 from pc1 to pc2

All of this works perfectly for my use except I was thinking I might want a 3rd option to set PC1 -> Mon1 and PC2 -> Mon2
I don't know how I would handle the mouse & kb however... maybe an additional switch?

It would be really nice if there was a KVM switch that could handle all this.

This is not for gaming so super hi rez video isn't a requirement.

Any ideas?

Ralston18

Titan
Very likely that there is some combination of KVM switches and cables that will work as required.

I will offer the idea that you first sketch out the existing setup showing all devices, cables, and ports.

Exactly as the setup is now working. Label everything. Mark plug and port genders.

Make a copy of that sketch and edit in the new requirements (3rd option) on the copy.

Note: Likely you will need several copies of the original sketch for revision purposes.

Look for opportunities to simplify or otherwise re-arrange the setup.

Once the revised setup is to you liking (meets the requirements) then go online and look for a KVM switch that "fits in". Pay attention to the details & specs of any product being considered.

(Many KVM products being sold but the specific details may not be all that clear. Read the fine print.)

Hopefully there will be such a product. If not, then you may need a custom switch which can be done but likely to be costly.

Be willing to reconsider the setup, prioritize, and/or make some trade-offs. And set a budget.

USAFRet

Titan
For the monitors, how about the different ports, on the monitors?

PC 1 -> port 1 on each monitor.
PC 2 -> port 2 on each monitor.

Whether they be HDMI or DisplayPort or whatever.0

Switch at the monitor, not the KVM.
This also gives you the option of displaying PC1 on monitor 1 and PC 2 on monitor 2, at the same time.

Of course, a KVM for the mouse/kbd.

Aug 25, 2023
>>> For the monitors, how about the different ports, on the monitors?

This is an interesting idea. I am concerned about having to change ports on the monitors using the little switches on the back of the monitors. I wonder if there is a 'less clunky' way of changing the active port...

USAFRet

Titan
>>> For the monitors, how about the different ports, on the monitors?

This is an interesting idea. I am concerned about having to change ports on the monitors using the little switches on the back of the monitors. I wonder if there is a 'less clunky' way of changing the active port...
All depends on how you monitor switches are set up, and where they are.
Mine are on the front panel. Bring up a menu, change the input port to use.

Aug 25, 2023
I think I have another idea here... I ordered another KVM for DP mode so I can eliminate the VGA component of the system... also had to get a DP video card for PC2.

Basically
KVM1 (DP) switches MON1 between PC1 & 2
KVM2 (DVI) switches MON2 between PC1 & 2
KVM3 (USB) switches K&M between PC1 & 2

Then if I setup PC1 default screen on MON1 and PC2 default screen on MON2, I can have both default screens up at the same time and use a single switch to switch the K&M between the two PCs.

I rarely use MON2 on PC2... in fact most of the time I don't switch to it when I am using PC2 so this would be a minor compromise to achieve my goal. I do use both monitors on PC1 most of the time.

Probably take a week to get all components and get it set up. Film at 11...

Aug 25, 2023
So I got all this working today. It came down to a decision on my part. Mode 1) Did I want 2 video cards in PC2 which is an old ASUS P8Z77-V LX motherboard with some built-in video options or 2) no video cards in the ASUS MB and a VGA->DP adapter attached to the ASUS for MON1. I spent most of the time figuring out that the onboard video would not work with a video card installed. Once I discovered this, I was able to get it working in both mode 1 and 2 above.

I opted for mode 2 - no video cards to keep the heat down in the box. If I don't like the performance, I can always add the video cards back in and maybe an extra fan...

Thanks for all of the ideas...