Dual Monitor Setup Problems

Sam137

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Trying to setup extended desktop using two monitors. Video card is a Radeon HD 6450 with 1 VGA slot and one DVI slot. Both monitors are VGA so I have a DVI to VGA adapter for the second monitor.

Whenever I check the box to "Extend my Windows Desktop onto this monitor" the primary monitor refreshes and the second monitor displays a "Adjustment" box on the screen. Immediately after the refresh, the extend check box is unselected and nothing happens.

I uses both monitors as the primary and I get the same results, regardless of which one is primary.

Drivers seem to install OK and I've received no indication that there is a setup or hardware issue at play

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sam137

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Just to add as well. The second monitor is on and is recognized by the video card. The screen even flashes a quick adjustment message whenever I play around with the display settings, but for some reason will not enable the extended screen option.

Sam137

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Issue resolved...Sort of. The Radeon HD 6450 apparently doesn't support DVI to VGA adapters. Strait DVI to DVI would have worked, but not with a VGA adapter.

Not sure how you can tell if something is adapter friendly, but that was the problem.

Incidentally, the predecessor, the Radeon HD 5450 is apparently OK with the adapter so I'm on my way out to return this thing and hopefully get one I can use with my two VGA monitors.