Dual Monitor Setup Screen Flickering (144hz+60Hz)

Preet Saluja

Honorable
Jun 23, 2014
I recently bought a 144hz monitor (Acer KG241QP - DP 1.2) and decided to run a dual monitor setup with my old 60hz monitor (BenQ VW2245Z - VGA cable with VGA to D-sub converter for the graphics card).
GPU - MSI R7 265 OC edition

The problem is whichever monitor I connect SECOND starts flickering (Vertically going out of display and constantly and flickering). If i boot my PC the old one (60hz) flickers while the 144hz one works fine and if I disable my primary 144hz one and then re-enable it from windows display settings the 144hz one starts flickering the same way while the 60hz one stops flickering at all.
I tried changing/lowering the resolution on the 60hz monitor and even increased its refresh rate to 75hz on the lower resolution but still the same problem occurs.

Preet Saluja

Honorable
Jun 23, 2014

I have a Ryzen 5 1600, I dont think Ryzen processors have an iGPU.

In which case I'm not sure there's much that can be done other than changing the refresh rate, try 120,rather than 144 it might not be as bad.

Preet Saluja

Honorable
Jun 23, 2014

I have even tried 60hz (on the 144hz one) but still the same issue. It happens only when there is something happening on the primary monitor. If i just let both of them just "sit still" or dont do anything then it works fine, only when the screen updates is when the flickering happens, like scrolling a web page, playing a video etc.

Would switching to a DVI-D cable over the VGA one help? If so I can purchase one.

Preet Saluja

Honorable
Jun 23, 2014

It came with the GPU I think, has the MSI logo on it and everything. I'll try some other converter or a DVI-D cable and see if that works but I'll have to order it so its going to take some time to try it out.