Dual Monitor Setup with Dual Graphics Cards...HELP!

gpoirier

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Hi,

I play mmorpg. I like to play 2 accounts at a time. I'm currently attempting to setup my dual monitor configuration so that each graphic card is dedicated to a single monitor. Currently I've only been able to configure it so that my desktop is expanded from my primary screen to my secondary. This causes my computer to use only the 1 card when I play the game, and my FPS drops from 60 to 10 on my secondary and 15 on my primary (I have all the graphics setting maxed out). I tried to set it up using Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Personalization -> Display Settings. Nothing I've done here has worked. I've also attempted using Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> nVidia Control Panel. Nothing here has worked either. I am aware that under nVidia Control Panel there is an option called "Dualview". However that option is not available to me in as an option, only "Only use one display (single). I have updated all my drivers. I really don't know what else to do. Here is what I'm using:

-Dual nVidia GTX280
-Intel Core2 Extreme CPU x9770
-NVIDIA NFORCE 790I ULTRA SLI MOTHERBOARD
-Windows Vista 32bit

Please Help! Thanks

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
what game are you playing? Windowed mode, or full screen? How are your monitors plugged in? SLI Enabled, or disabled. Thus is the information needed.

FPS drop when playing dual accelerated games has a very simple analogy. One task on one core plays fine, two tasks running full bore on one core you get slower than 50% performance per task effective. Video card acceleration really only does one task at a time - As in playing two games at the same time would be significantly crappier than you thought it might.

gpoirier

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
World of Warcraft. Windowed, 1 monitor per graphics card using DVI connections, SLI disabled...And I mean I used to play the same game (with settings reduced) using a single nVidia GeForce 5900 and single monitor. I'd simply alt+tab between windows. The game ran fine apart from the odd freeze up after I'd switch windows.

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
plug both monitors into the primary card, and see how it does. if it works better, you could try enabling SLI, but you may not get THAT lucky.

gpoirier

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Well it worked...but I'm baffled...did I get two cards for nothing? Why does it work better to have both screen plugged to 1 card, rather than 1 in each? I'm not very computer savy, but it doesn't make sense...