[SOLVED] Dual monitor setup with laptop not working

Dec 1, 2020
Im not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes:

I have a Lenovo thinkpad T590. I am not particulaly good with stats and such, but here is what i know about it: CPU: Intel Core i5-8265U CPU@ 1,6 GHz 8 GB RAM GPU: INTEL UHD Graphics 620 3.9 GB

I just got a 5120x1440 super-ultrawide monitor and it works perfect with the computer. The problem is that i also have a 1920x1080 which i want to use at the same time.

I run the 1920x1080 monitor with HDMI-HDMI and the 5120x1440 through USB-C to HDMI. When i plug in the second monitor, my computer does not detect it at all. If i unplug the first monitor, the second works fine, meaning all my ports work.

My friend tried his computer with the excact same setup, and it worked perfectly.

My question is if there is some limitations to my computer, or do i need the right adapter to plug both monitors through USB-C?

Thanks in advance

Solution
Does your friend has the Lenovo Thinkpad T590 or P53?
What's the max resolution supported by the USB-C to HDMI dongle?
Did you tried to run the ultrawide 1440p monitor from the laptop's HDMI port and the 1080p display through the USB-C to HDMI dongle?

According to Lenovo, external displays on the USB-C connector (USB 3.1 Gen 1) and the HDMI connector won't work at the same time.

Lenovo recommends a dock (docking station) when setting more than a single external monitor for a trouble free setup.
A USB Type C to HDMI Cable Thunderbolt 3 Compatible dongle might work.

If you are positive that the USB-C to HDMI dongle is working, then right click on the desktop and select Display Settings.
Click the Detect button, under...
Did you tried to run the ultrawide 1440p monitor from the laptop's HDMI port and the 1080p display through the USB-C to HDMI dongle?

According to Lenovo, external displays on the USB-C connector (USB 3.1 Gen 1) and the HDMI connector won't work at the same time.

Lenovo recommends a dock (docking station) when setting more than a single external monitor for a trouble free setup.

If you are positive that the USB-C to HDMI dongle is working, then right click on the desktop and select Display Settings.
Click the Detect button, under Multiple displays.
There should be 3 displays under Displays.
Select each display connected and rearrange (position) and configure (resolution, orientation, etc.) each one according to the monitor specs.
By clicking the Windows key + P you could Duplicate, Extend or select External screens only.

I have used a USB-C to DisplayPort on the Thinkpad T590 and it worked.

Solution
Dec 1, 2020

Click the Detect button, under Multiple displays.
There should be 3 displays under Displays.
Select each display connected and rearrange (position) and configure (resolution, orientation, etc.) each one according to the monitor specs.
By clicking the Windows key + P you could Duplicate, Extend or select External screens only.

I have used a USB-C to DisplayPort on the Thinkpad T590 and it worked.

I dont remember the exact model he had.

the dongle i have is this one https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-MacBook-Output-MicroSD-2-Ports/dp/B074J79WWJ?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Yes i tried swapping arround, and i still acted weird. And i find it weird that lenovo says that it wont work, but it worked on my friend's laptop. With one monitor through HDMI and onw through USB-C. My laptop is also relatively new. (late 2019)

i dont even see 3 monitors in the setup menu. It only registers one of them.

In the setup you had, did you plug both monitors through USB-C or one of them through HDMI directly from your computer?

Thanks a lot for your help and response. Im just hoping, that something will work without me having to get a new laptop.

I dont remember the exact model he had.
If you don't remember the exact model he had, then your friend's laptop or computer does not have the "exact same setup".
Even laptops with the same model number could be configure to have different components and features.
A USB type C ports on diferente systems might support diferente configurations.
Even your laptop's USB type C ports do not support the same devices.

the dongle i have is this one https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-MacBook-Output-MicroSD-2-Ports/dp/B074J79WWJ?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Yes i tried swapping arround, and i still acted weird. And i find it weird that lenovo says that it wont work, but it worked on my friend's laptop. With one monitor through HDMI and onw through USB-C. My laptop is also relatively new. (late 2019)
If your friend had the same exact Laptop model, cables, dongles and displays or you connected your two displays to his Lenovo Thinkpad T590 then you could say
"it worked on my friend's laptop".
I do not think you could connect a display to the HDMI port and USB-C to HDMI dongle at the same time.

i dont even see 3 monitors in the setup menu. It only registers one of them.

In the setup you had, did you plug both monitors through USB-C or one of them through HDMI directly from your computer?
I have used both a USB-C to DisplayPort Thunderbolt 3 dongle and a docking station.

Thanks a lot for your help and response. Im just hoping, that something will work without me having to get a new laptop.
If you just want them to work without issues, then just get a docking station like the
Lenovo ThinkPad USB-C Dock Gen 2

Dec 1, 2020
If you don't remember the exact model he had, then your friend's laptop or computer does not have the "exact same setup".
Even laptops with the same model number could be configure to have different components and features.
A USB type C ports on diferente systems might support diferente configurations.
Even your laptop's USB type C ports do not support the same devices.

If your friend had the same exact Laptop model, cables, dongles and displays or you connected your two displays to his Lenovo Thinkpad T590 then you could say
"it worked on my friend's laptop".
I do not think you could connect a display to the HDMI port and USB-C to HDMI dongle at the same time.

I have used both a USB-C to DisplayPort Thunderbolt 3 dongle and a docking station.

If you just want them to work without issues, then just get a docking station like the
Lenovo ThinkPad USB-C Dock Gen 2

Okay. Thanks a lot for the information. I Guess i have to look into the docking station then.