Dual monitor setup with onboard output but dedicated graphic as main gpu renderer

Ikmalhidayat

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
(Is been awhile (again) to open up this website since not up to date to pc world recently)

Anyways, i have one CRT monitor that uses VGA and hooking it to my onboard VGA. i would prefer connect it to my graphic card but no VGA and DVI port is used mainly for my lcd monitor.

Reason for me to use CRT is to sometimes play games with my CRT with high fps. I usually unplug my dvi monitor and use dvi-i to vga to play but too many hassle to do it everytime.

with dual monitor setup, i can use both which is the best situation, except that my crt is connected to onboard vga and the worst part, if i play game with it, it uses intel igpu instead.

this could be easy to setup with laptop as they have its own grahic switching (especially nVidia-based)
i did read something about using 3rd party softwares to allow onboard output but rendering by graphic card but i couldnt find them. and most of the time is for single monitor setup (although should be possible with my setup)

most games i play dont really giving me option to use which renderer but emulator usually do

anyhow to always use my dedicated gpu as renderer?

Info:
- Intel i3 2120 (Intel HD graphic)
- Asus DirectCUII Radeon HD 7770 1GB
- 1600x900@75Hz LCD monitor (DVI)
- CRT monitor (VGA), up to 120Hz at 480p, up to 100Hz at 600p, 90Hz at 720p

[other approach i tied but working badly]
since my monitor dont have hdmi, i use dvi to hdmi converter and hook it to my monitor. then use dvi-i to vga to hook my crt. but this gives me visual corruptions, like as if the vertical lines are not sync to each monitors. using same refresh rate didnt help.

(did searched forums about this but couldnt find relevent answers)

Just get a mini dp port to vga adapter. (has to be active to work). Your card has 2 mini dp ports and that will fix the issue for you.

Sounds like you have a bad adapter in the mix when you try to use 2.

Ikmalhidayat

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

i searched about mini dp port to vga and i did saw like multiple output one (one mini dp to dvi/hdmi/vga). this particular tempted me for "futureproofing". but not sure if it is active or not.
is like this (not this particular product)
s-l500.jpg

good or bad?

i guess i suspects my dvi to hdmi one seems problematic, athough will try with other hdmi wire first.

back to main question, is somewhat impossible then? (though somehow it did work with dx9 games, not dx11 or 12 (maybe due to intel's dx10 support only). in window mode, moving my game window to 2nd display, even slightly froze the game, although dx9 game continues. but still using my graphic card to render according to GPU-Z)

TRENDING THREADS