[SOLVED] Dual monitor support, will this work?

Dec 12, 2018
Alright so, I have a 60Hz monitor, which I use an HDMI cable coming from my 1060, I am planning on getting a new one soon which will be 144hz probably.
I've heard you should not have 2 different ports running at the same time (eg. HDMI on one and Display Port on the other) because it causes sync issues and tearing.
What if i ran the 144hz one normally with a display port cable, and the 60hz one by running another display port cable from my GPU and then using a Display Port to HDMI converter for my 60hz screen, would that fix any possible sync issues?
or am i just completely wrong and it would work perfectly either way

Solution
Well based on your parts list, you should be okay running the dual monitor but check to see the watt usage of your monitors are and add them to your watt usage that pcpartpicker gave you (234W). Once you have that number, just write it down somewhere and keep it in mind if you want to do any over clocking, or add anything other components to your build. Just be conscious about how much power you're drawing.

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
I have my 144Hz and 60Hz monitor plugged into my GPU (RX Vega 64 Airboost). I have no problems with it, I still get 144Hz on my main and us the other for multimedia. Just make sure your power suplly will be able to support another monitor. I fried my PSU when i plugged in the second monitor lmao had to upgrade to an 850W

Dec 12, 2018
I have my 144Hz and 60Hz monitor plugged into my GPU (RX Vega 64 Airboost). I have no problems with it, I still get 144Hz on my main and us the other for multimedia. Just make sure your power suplly will be able to support another monitor. I fried my PSU when i plugged in the second monitor lmao had to upgrade to an 850W
My PSU is 650Watts, I'm not sure how much of that I'm using since there is alot of RGB and lights on the system.. but i haven't done any overclocking

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
What are your build specs? I need to get an idea of how much power you will be using. If you are doing a 144Hz and a 60Hz though, I'm thinking you may want to upgrade the PSU. I ruined my 650W PSU over the course of a week. It worked good for the week on dual monitor but then it would just restart my whole pc every time I booted up a game or put it under any load

Dec 12, 2018
What are your build specs? I need to get an idea of how much power you will be using. If you are doing a 144Hz and a 60Hz though, I'm thinking you may want to upgrade the PSU. I ruined my 650W PSU over the course of a week. It worked good for the week on dual monitor but then it would just restart my whole pc every time I booted up a game or put it under any load
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type|Item|
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor |
Thermal Compound | ARCTIC - MX4 4 g Thermal Paste |
Motherboard | Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard |
Memory | G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory |
Storage | Seagate - BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive |
Video Card | Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Strix Video Card |
Case | NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case |
Power Supply | Corsair - RMx 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply |
Case Fan | Deepcool - RF 120 (3 in 1) 56.5 CFM 120mm Fans |

There is also a Cooler Master Universal RGB strip that i couldn't find on PCpartpicker

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
Well based on your parts list, you should be okay running the dual monitor but check to see the watt usage of your monitors are and add them to your watt usage that pcpartpicker gave you (234W). Once you have that number, just write it down somewhere and keep it in mind if you want to do any over clocking, or add anything other components to your build. Just be conscious about how much power you're drawing.

Solution
Dec 12, 2018
The current Monitor im using does not have a Watt usage in the sticker but i was able to calculate that by taking the voltage which was 19V and multiplying by Amps (1.6) which got me a nice 30.4W so I should have more than enough headspace to work with
Current monitor: LG 22MT47DC-PZ
Planned monitor: Asus VG278Q

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
The current Monitor im using does not have a Watt usage in the sticker but i was able to calculate that by taking the voltage which was 19V and multiplying by Amps (1.6) which got me a nice 30.4W so I should have more than enough headspace to work with
Current monitor: LG 22MT47DC-PZ
Planned monitor: Asus VG278Q
Yes that calculation will give you a solid benchmark. You can just type in the product number in on google and you should be able to find the power specs if you want want to check your numbers. Either way, you should be good. Good luck mate.

Dec 12, 2018
Yes that calculation will give you a solid benchmark. You can just type in the product number in on google and you should be able to find the power specs if you want want to check your numbers. Either way, you should be good. Good luck mate.
Thanks for all the help dude, appreciated!
Wierd thing is I can barely find information about this LG monitor anywhere, not even on LG's own website..
not even the retailer that I got it from has it anymore

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
Okay so I just did some searching. What I found out is that your LG will run about 25-30W and the ASUS one will be around 40W. So your total would be like 306W roughly with no Over-Clocking. That also doesn't include all your RGB but they don't generally take up too much power (maybe like 6W). So now you know that you that your system runs around 312W with no over-clock.