Dual monitor with 4870cross fire and 9600GT possible?

howdid

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
Hi
this is my first thread and post on this forum so i must say high to everyone and toms hardware :D HI!!!!

ok lol

but i have a rather weird questions and actually very important for me to get an definitive answer before i go ahead and buy all the components for this new computer i am planning to build.
I have briefly read and searched the forums and didnt find any similar or related questions that was asked so please tell me if i am asking a questions that has already been ansered :p

I have been using dual monitor set up for about 5 years now and i am very used to this set up
I dont think i will ever be able to go back to single monitor again :p

however, i am thinking of getting a crossfire build of 2 HD4870 Ati cards
and as most of you kno crossfire cannot support dual monitor

now my question is
since i already have a 9600GT left from my current computer
can i just conveniently use this 9600GT by Nvidia to power my second monitor?
i know my freind has done something similar to this before but he did it using two different cards with different GPU but both from Nivia Geforce powering two different monitors in dual view mode

Has anyone done this using crossfire and then a 9600GT?
does anyone know if this will work?
or will the catalyst driver mess up the nividia driver or vice versa?
please let me know
or please recommend suggestions of what i should do to get dual monitor view with crossfire HD4870

thanks a tons

howdid

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
i am asking if i can use crossfire to run the first monitor and my 9600GT to run the second
so all three cards will be in my system running
just two different monitors

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Ive read about this before, I think you will have to put one brand of cards in first, install drivers. The remove it and put in the other brand card, install drivers. Then put them all back in there together and hook your monitors up how you want. You cant install the nvidia and ati drivers if there is a card of another brand in there, at least I think. Dont quote me on that though its been awhile since I read about it.

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Actually, you can use dual monitors with CrossfireX now. If all you want to do is watch a movie on one and surf the net on the other, it should work for you. If you want to game on one monitor and watch a movie on the other... your guess is as good as mine.