Question Dual monitors connection problem ?

Apr 18, 2022
Hey guys,

I have a problem that I need to solve. In my home office, I have two monitors, but only one HDMI port on my computer. I connect one monitor to my computer using a HDMI cable, it goes from the HDMI port in the monitor to the HDMI port in my computer. For the other monitor, I use a USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter, but the screen flickers and sometimes goes black. If someone can inform me of an alternative, and better, solution to what I am doing now, I would be grateful.

Kind regards.

Apr 18, 2022
Hi,

My desktop PC is a Dell Inspiron 3881, if you need any more details, please ask.

The monitor which has no problem is a Dell S2316H, and it is connected to the computer via a HDMI cable (HDMI port to HDMI port). The other monitor is a HP E233.

I have not tried a different cable and adapter for the one that flickers. However, it is worth noting that prior to using the HP monitor I used a Dell monitor (which I dropped and broke) and the Dell monitor had the same problem, so maybe it is the cable or the adapter, but before replacing either of them or both I want to discover if there is another solution.

From looking at the Advanced display settings in the System app (I am using Windows 11), I note both monitors are using 1920 x 1080 and at 60Hz. The only difference is that monitor with no problem is connected to a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER and the problematic monitor is connected to a Fresco Logic IDDCX Adapter.

Apart from using an adapter, is there another solution?

By the way, I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for the adapter and that did not solve the problem.

There is another HDMI port on my computer, I believe it is a DisplayPort HDMI port, can this be used?

It is quite frustrating as it is 2022 and a dual monitor set-up is common.

Thanks for your help so far.

Apr 18, 2022
Hi guys,

Thank you for all your help, much appreciated.

The solution that worked for me was using a DisplayPort cable, both ends had a DisplayPort ends (if you know what I mean - actually if someone can tell me the name for those parts of a cable, I would be grateful), and inserting one end into the DisplayPort port in the monitor and the other end into the DisplayPort connected to the graphics card. Unbeknownst to me, there were two DisplayPort ports on my computer, and the one that solved my problem was the one connected to the graphics card. I am stating this here in case someone with the same problem does not realise that they could have two DisplayPort ports on their computer and that more than likely they will need the one connected to their graphics card to solve their problem.